Lots of useful information here for gardeners!
• If you find a bee swarm in your garden first please double check they are honeybees from this guide and then contact: Newbury Beekeepers, Marc Benson on 07746 374819 in Wash Common, Vale & Downland Beekeepers (for Wantage Area) or Swindon & District Beekeepers – any of these people will be very happy to collect the swarm from you.
Veg Gardening Tips
• Get inspiration from the latest blog by Belinda from Hungerford Allotments
• Top planting technique: plant our half a crop out at first to check if the location works. If the plants get munched then you’ve still got the other half of the crop to try somewhere else in the garden.
Borders & Shrub Tips
Protecting Wildlife in Your Garden
Many thanks to PP reader Carole Ruse for sending in
Composting & Fertilizing
• It is worth growing comfrey to make a liquid fertilizer for your garden. Roughly chop up leaves in a bucket of water and nettle leaves too. Stir occasionally. When the water is dark green and smells like fertilizer then dilute it with more water and gives your crops a good drink. Here is a demonstration by Monty Don.
• reminder to men to pee on their compost heap! According to The Daily Telegraph this is an important chore and one that is physically easier for men and their pee happens to be slightly less acidic than women’s