With Christmas very much on the horizon, it is important to ensure everyone has a happy time. Brendoncare Froxfield care home is always mindful that its residents who live with dementia may find some of the Christmas celebrations overwhelming.
Trudy Allen, Froxfield’s Wellbeing Coordinator, suggests that there are simple steps to take that will make loved ones living with dementia be very much part of the celebrations while at the same time feel safe.
- Create Christmas slowly, enabling them to get used to the changes you are making when you put up decorations in the house or in their room.
- Involve them in the preparations such as hanging baubles on the Christmas tree or with the Christmas shopping.
- You can sing Christmas carols and songs together, which will bring them many happy memories.
- Encourage time outside of the home to take in the crisp, fresh air, the smell of nature and winter sunshine.
- If the festivities get too much for them, keep a room free where they can take a break.
- Above all, be flexible and ready to change your plans if they cannot cope with your Christmas activities.
Brendoncare Froxfield provides nursing care for 44 residents, including a dedicated 16-bed dementia care household.
It is one of seven care homes run by the Brendoncare Foundation. Brendoncare also provides extra care housing and community services for older people across the south of England.
Brendoncare’s Care for Life promise provides security and peace of mind to residents and their families. It ensures that when a resident can no longer afford the full cost of their care Brendoncare will give them financial support enabling them to remain with them for as long as their needs can be met.
For more information about Brendoncare Froxfield, please call 01488 684916 or visit the website.