This recipe is really tasty and flexible – you can use any kind of bean really and any kind of grateable veg. The inspiration came from this black bean burger recipe and this beetroot burger recipe. If you want, you can add some mince, mashed corn beef or even tinned tuna to the mixture.
1 tin of black beans (any beans will actually do – and lentils or chickpeas might work too)
approx 250gms beetroot (raw or cooked) and/or carrot/courgette/parsnip/celariac/squash
5 good dashes of Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves of minced garlic or equivalent puree/powder
3 handfuls of grated cheese
3 handfuls of homemade panko breadcrumbs (see instructions below)
2 spring onions, roughly chopped with scissors
More flavouring: smoked paprika, lemon juice, cayenne pepper/chilli/tabasco sauce
Tear up spare/stale bread and blitz in blender. Bake until golden (approx 5 mins at 180 in air fryer). Blitz in blender again until fine.
1. Grate your raw veg (shorter strands blend into the mixture best). Mix all together and microwave for 3 minutes with lid off and leave to cool. This softens and dehydrates the veg which helps with the burger consistency. Cooked beetroot should be grated but microwaved.
2. Rinse beans and bake in air fryer for 5 – 10 mins until split. If you are using larger beans like kidney beans give them a blitz in food processor or mash with a fork to break them up a bit. Let cool.
3. Add beans to cooked veg and stir in all the other ingredients except the breadcrumbs.
4. Then add the breadcrumbs until the mixture consistency is sticky but isn’t wet.
5. Make burgers to the size you want – easiest to do it by hand and squeeze firmly into shape.
6. Pour oil in a shallow dish and turn the burgers over in the oil to coat them. If they are quite thick, press down slightly to flatten so they cook evenly. Place in air fryer gently so the burgers don’t get stuck in the holes in the tray.
7. They need slower cooking than a meat burger so try them at 170° for 10 minutes. Turn over and cook for another 2 minutes until the surface of the burgers is firm but still juicy inside.
8. Serve in buns like a burger on in pitta bread like falafels – with salad, mayonnaise etc