“The future of humanity and indeed all life on earth depends on us“
We’re all becoming increasingly aware of the urgency of the Climate Change Emergency – extreme weather events, the loss of wildlife, deforestation and plastic pollution. It’s no longer a ‘maybe’. It’s now and it may be irreversible. The recently published INTERGOVERNMENTAL PANEL ON CLIMATE CHANGE Report says ‘It’s ‘Code Red for Humanity’.
The power is largely with big businesses, banks and investors and governments – many of which will “greenwash” their activities to try and make themselves look much greener than they really are. However, ordinary people can still take action. We’d like to offer some ideas – and therefore, some hope. People Power can be effective.
SOME ACTIONS WE CAN ALL TAKE …. Be a Net Zero Hero – make a change today by choosing actions from each list.
Start off by calculating your carbon footprint here: footprint.wwf.org.uk
• Switch to ethical banks and pension schemes which do not invest in fossil fuels
• Ask your employer to make climate positive changes
• Buy less – ask yourself do I need it?
• Repair, re-purpose and re-use
• Say no to fast fashion, buy clothes to last.
• Buy second hand, online or in charity shops
• Re-fill detergent and soap bottles at a re-fill location
• Make your green space wildlife friendly
• Buy less, and waste less food
• Shop local and seasonal
• Recycle packaging-avoid overpackaged goods
• Reduce meat and dairy
• Avoid factory farmed meat
• Buy ethical – seek out Fairtrade and sustainable food accreditations. Buy from a zero waste shop
• Grow your own and compost green waste
• Hang clothes to dry, wash clothes at lower temperatures
• Shower with an efficient shower head, don’t bathe
• Lower your heating thermostat temperature
• Switch to a green energy supplier
• Upgrade to low energy lightbulbs
• Reuce your home carbon emissions eg by improving your home insulation
(PUSH FOR CHANGE)
• Support your local council in delivering their climate strategy, if they haven’t got one, ask for one
• Join, donate or volunteer to a climate action campaign/ charity
• Write to your MP about the climate crisis, tell them how worried you are and ask them to act now and support the Climate & Ecology Emergency Bill
• Stay informed about the climate emergency. Involve your community; share your climate actions with friends, family and colleagues and be a force for good
“IT’S SURELY EVERYONE’S RESPONSIBILTY TO DO EVERYTHING WITHIN OUR POWER TO CREATE A PLANET THAT PROVIDES NOT JUST A HOME FOR ALL, BUT FOR ALL LIFE ON EARTH.”
“REAL SUCCESS CAN ONLY COME IF THERE’S A CHANGE IN OUR SOCIETIES AND IN OUR ECONOMICS AND IN OUR POLITICS.”
SIR DAVID ATTENBOROUGH