Thanks to Sara Jones in Lambourn for sending in this easy apple cake recipe which has been handed down by her German grandmother.
Sara’s grandmother is now 97 years old and they were recently able to visit her after lockdown.
Sara’s children had a wonderful time at their great grandmother’s house, collecting lots of apples from her garden to make this recipe.
German Apple Cake Recipe
150g self-raising flour
100g butter or margarine
2 medium eggs
3 medium apples (cooking or eating) – 100g per apple
Sprinkle of brown sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 C or Gas Mark 5.
2. Grease and flour 8″ spring form or loose bottom tin.
3. Sieve flour into a large bowl.
4. Add butter, sugar and eggs to the bowl.
5. Beat thoroughly until the mixture is a soft dropping consistency.
6. Leave cake mixture to one side.
7. Peel and core apples and cut into 8 wedges each.
8. Spoon half of the mixture into the tin and spread so it fills the bottom.
9. Place the apple wedges (thick side down) in a circle in the mixture.
10. Add the remaining mixture over the wedges and try to level it off.
11. Place tin in middle shelf of oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden in colour and a cocktail stick comes out clean. (If you would like to decorate the cake with almonds and sugar, take the cake out of the oven 5 minutes before the cake is finished cooking, sprinkle almonds and sugar randomly over the top of the cake and return to the oven).