Wantage Town Centre Manager Andrea Yates looks at some of the events coming up in town during September 2021, including a market, a fair, a fun day and a special anniversary.
Wantage Artisan Market (Sunday 5 September)
“Enjoy local, support local, spend local, sustain local” is theme of this event which will be a superb showcase for a wide range of local talent. Come to browse or (better still) purchase food, gifts and more and to enjoy the music. The local bars and cafés will be open. A thoroughly enjoyable day is in prospect.
Fairs in Market Place – (Saturdays 11 September and 16 October).
The fairs will arrive in the early hours of the Saturday morning, some time after 4am, depart before midnight and the whole of the Market Place will be closed to all traffic during this period. The closure arrangements will be the same as applied to the annual Dickensian Evening.
Celebration of the centenary of the Royal British Legion and the 80th Anniversary of the Air Cadets (Sunday 26 September)
This will be centred on the Market Place (please note the Market Place will be closed to traffic to traffic until 2pm). The timetable is as follows:
- 10:00 to 10:30 RBL, 4224 Sqn and Cadets arrive. Arrival of Wantage Silver Band in The Beacon area.
- 10:45 March off from Beacon Area.
- 10:55 Arrival in the Market Place.
- 11:00 Parade commences.
- 11:15 Drumhead Service.
- 11:45 March-past and return to The Beacon.
- 12:00 Parade dismissed. Cars and coaches transport participants to Ardington Sports Club (2.5 miles). BBQ and bar available. Opportunity to change out of uniform, suits etc. Participants register for sponsored walk.
- 13.00 Sponsored walk starts (five-mile route only).
- 14:00 to 15:45 Wantage Silver Band performs.
- 15:00 A Majority of walkers should have returned.
- 15:15 to 15:45 Afternoon tea, courtesy of RBLWS.
- 15:50 Anniversary cakes (RBL and ATC) cut.
- 16:30 Clear up and closure of event.
Family Fun Day (Sunday 26 September)
Exciting events for all the family including Rock Choir, Greenroom Collective Street Dance and Theatre, juggling and circus skills for all the family followed by Music Group. Starts around noon. More information from Jim at email@example.com.