Opened in April 2014 at The Frank Hutchins Hall in Thatcham, West Berkshire Therapy Centre is a specialised therapy gym for people with disabilities in west Berkshire and surrounding areas.
West Berkshire Therapy Centre has been given a fantastic double match funding opportunity from the Good Exchange to help develop a power-assisted exercise service for those affected by Long-covid. We expect over 100 such referrals this year from local doctors.
Already we have many offers of financial support, but we need more, please, to reach our target of £18,000. Please click here to support us. The first £5,000 banked on 18/19 June will be double match funded, turning your £10 into £30.
In these two days of giving we aim to raise over £18,000 to fund a service to help people with Long-covid to recover faster using our power-assisted exercise equipment and we will produce a report about the difference that power-assisted exercise can make to those with Long-covid.
To publicise what we do and to encourage donations we are holding a Cake Bake on 18th and 19th June between 10 and 3pm.
We are also using our power-assisted equipment to demonstrate how we can help people achieve things despite their limitations:
• Catherine is ‘rowing’ the equivalent of the English Channel, using our seated rower.
• Iwona is hiking the equivalent of the climb to the summit of Scafell Pike.
• Norman is ‘skiing’, power-assisted, the equivalent a Nordic championship course.
• John is ‘cycling’ a stage of the Tour de France, ‘rowing’ the University Boat Race course and ‘scaling’ the height of the world’s highest building, all power-assisted.
• Sara is swimming ‘The Catalina Channel between Santa Catalina Island and Los Angeles’ (SwimTag challenge). She is using the Tadley pool because our hydrotherapy pool hasn’t been built yet!