Thanks to Alex Milne-White for sharing this Walk 18 from his book Shorter Walks Near Hungerford
Park near St Mary’s Church in Kintbury or at the Blue Ball pub if you’re going to go there (but car park is quite small).
Directions (see map below)
1. Follow public footpath sign into churchyard and fork left on path, then turn left again on tree-lined path and out through gate onto gravel path opposite. Follow path between houses and left round the Blue Ball pub down to road.
2. Cross road and follow public footpath sign on little road then on path between 2 fences, which turns into lovely tree-lined path. Go through gate at end of path, along short path and through another gate, then bear left on path.
3. Go through gate at end of path then along left edge of field. Cross stile and proceed along right edge of next field to a low and narrow stile at the far end, go through and turn left on road.
4. Ignore footpath signs pointing left after 10 and 250 meters, then when road bears left there is a footpath sign pointing right and a gate straight ahead. Go through gate and along path to another low stile.
5. Cross stile and continue along right edge of field, then across another stile and down to road. Cross road and go through gate on other side to a path along right edge of field. Follow footpath sign left then continue round to the right towards gate.
6. Go through gate and bear right along path next to wooden fence, then when you emerge onto larger path bear right/straight on following public bridleway sign and around to the road. Cross road then bear half left on 2nd road, signposted Swan Inn and follow this road on the outskirts of Inkpen.
7. Ignore unmarked path on right after about 250 meters, until after another 250 meters a broken byway sign points you down a clear track into the woods (The Folly). After 400 meters a byway branches back and left, ignore this and carry on on path as it turns into a public bridleway with concrete base, then gravel, then concrete again until you eventually see a 5 way footpath junction sign in the hedge to the right.
8. Follow the yellow arrow, first right, down what looks like someone’s drive. Go through large gate and bear right then left on road, then after about 100 meters there’s a small gap in the hedge on your left with a yellow footpath arrow leading you over a little bridge and to a gate.
9. Go through gate and head right on clear path across field. Go through gate at end of field and across bridge onto path straight on through woods (High Trees). Go through gate and onto field.
10. Bear slightly right towards a waymark post on field, then continue straight on, with St Cassian’s College on your right, towards a 4 way footpath junction sign and straight on past that to go through gate at end of field, and through copse.
11. Continue on clear path across field, skirting past right edge of woods, towards a gate and footpath sign. Go through gate, cross road and through large kissing gate on other side and straight on across field to another large kissing gate.
12. Go left on wide footpath, passing a house on your left, around a large gate and straight on on Wallington’s Road and back up to main road through Kintbury and the Blue Ball pub. Retrace your steps back to the start.