Around one in three people who have Coronavirus are asymptomatic and will be spreading the virus without realising it.
To help reduce this risk, local councils are offering community testing to eligible key workers (critical workers) aged 16 or over. Appointment slots are approximately 30 minutes and are per person: please attend the appointment alone unless you need support from another adult.
Where you can be tested
- In West Berkshire: once you have checked that you are eligible (see below), please click here to book in Newbury, Thatcham, Hungerford (from 22 Feb) or Burghfield (from 22 Feb).
- In Wantage at The Beacon: please click here to book your test
- In neighbouring areas: please click on the appropriate link which will take you to that council’s general Covid section on its website: Oxfordshire – Swindon – Wiltshire – Test Valley – Basingstoke & Deane – Wokingham – Reading
Who can be tested
Those to whom testing is offered include key workers, carers, and business service providers such as tradespeople entering people’s houses on a regular basis.
The offer does not include:
- Those with existing access to workplace testing through employers;
- Those with existing access to home testing (teachers, care homes, NHS, etc);
- Those aged 80 and over;
- Those aged 65 to 79 unless they are a key worker/carer;
- Those aged 18 and under (will be tested via schools).
Please note that:
- The test is only available to those who do not have Covid-19 symptoms;
- Someone who has had the Covid-19 vaccine can still have a test as the vaccine does not stop them from being able to spread the virus, although it does significantly reduce the risk;
- A negative test does not replace the hands, space, face regulations and is only valid for a specified period of time;
- This is not a ‘test and release’ option. All of the usual rules need to apply but it can offer some reassurance that the person tested is not infected at that point in time;
- For the most effective outcome tests should be booked at least three days apart.
For more detail about who is eligible to be tested please see here.