Thanks to Gert Pienaar, Head Chef of The Crown & Anchor in Ham, for sharing fun fake-away recipes for you to try at home.
Gert recommends serving these tasty chicken bites with Sweet Chilli Mayonnaise and fries! Don’t worry if you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own from milk and lemon (or we used watered down yoghurt).
Ingredients, Serves 4
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 tsp Dried Sage
- 2 tsp Dried Marjoram
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 Cup Corn Flakes – Crushed
- 300g Plain Flour
- 500g Diced Chicken Thighs
- 200 ml Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 26g Smoked Paprika
- 12g Salt
- 6g Chilli Powder
- 6g Garlic Powder
- 12g Celery Salt
- 2g White Pepper
- Mix the dried herbs, flour and cornflakes together in a separate bowl and set aside for later.
- Mix the diced chicken with the buttermilk and spices.
- Leave to marinate for 1 to 4 hours in the fridge.
- When ready beat the egg and mix through the marinated chicken.
- Now carefully coat the marinated chicken with the flour coating.
- Deep fry at 170°C for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the excess oil if needed and put in a 180°C oven for a further 2-3 minutes, making sure the chicken reaches 76°C.
To sign up to The Crown & Anchor’s newsletters to receive Gert’s weekly recipes, contact email@example.com