To help local families struggling at this time, a number of local cafes and restaurants are offering free meals for kids during halfterm. These businesses are grateful for any donations from the public to support this scheme.
Families which need assistance with food or other forms of support can contact West Berks Community Support Hub on 01635 503579, 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newbury & Thatcham Area
- NuMee Coffee Shop, Wash Common
- Riverside Community Centre, Clay Hill is delivering free lunches to kids who go to their club
- The Village Shop, Woolhampton
- Crown and Thorns, East Ilsley
- Hampstead Norreys Community Shop: if you’re a parent or carer with children who receive free school meals, or if your family would benefit from support, please just pop a note in an envelope addressed to the shop manager saying how many children are in need, and we will arrange free packed lunches for them during half term. (Very discrete: no questions asked.)
- Alexander Tea Rooms in Hungerford Arcade
- Shalbourne Stores & Post Office, Shalbourne
- Hungerford Football Club: from noon Thursday 29 October will be giving out free jacket potatoes with cheese and beans to any children that need this assistance. Free delivery also available. Pre-registering required by emailing email@example.com or phoning 01488 760088.
- Priscilla’s Kitchen, East Garston (Thur 29 & Fri 30 Oct)
- The Buzz Cafe, Wantage (thanks to donations by individuals and Helping Hands)
- The Bear Hotel, Wantage
- The Mix Community Fridge, Wantage
- The Extraordinary Hare, Wantage
- Marco Polo Bakery, Wantage: £1 and free kids meals (thanks to donations by individuals and Helping Hands)
- Wildwood, Wantage: £1 kids meals (now free thanks to a donation)
- The Packhorse
- Cornerstones Cafe, Grove (has over £200 donated for free meals)
- The Volunteer Inn, Grove
- The Chequers Inn, Charney Bassett
- The Snooty Mehmaan, Littleworth, Faringdon (collection only, no purchase required)
- The White Hart, Fyfield
If you are entitled to free school meals or universal credit and struggling to pay for food over half term, please contact the Wiltshire Wellbeing Hub for support on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 003 4576. The team is available Monday to Friday between 9am-5pm.
- Aldbourne Community Junction: in collaboration with Aldbourne Post Office, is able to offer free children’s meals for this half term (Monday to Friday) for all children living in Aldbourne. There will be one hot and one cold takeaway option each day between 12.30pm and 1.30pm from the Community Junction.
- Love Marlborough Kids Meals & Sue Brady Catering are providing free hot meals during halfterm from St Mary’s Church Hall.