You’ve heard the speeches and debates, you’ve listened to Question Time on BBC or Nick Ferrari on LBC, you’ve talked about it in the pub or at home or at work: and still you, like the politicians, haven’t go the slightest idea what’s going to happen next. You brain has blurred Black Rod, Bercow, Boris, Benyon, Barnier, Brussels and the backstop into a bilious ball of Brexit-bloated bile and bewilderment – and who can blame it?
Help, however, is at hand.
The Penny Post Brexit Song and Book Competition is a simple way to alleviate these blues. Thanks to the support of The Naked Grape and The Hungerford Bookshop, we can offer you a £10 voucher at either of these excellent and award-winning shops in Hungerford High Street to provide the solace of fine wine or fine words just when they’re most needed.
Simply let us know what, in your view, is the song title and/or the book title that best sums up any or all aspects of the current crisis. It doesn’t matter if the actual song or the book itself describes something completely different – it’s a good title that we’re after. For example, neither Je ne Regrette Rien nor Decline and Fall are about Brexit but the titles suggest that each might be.
How to Enter
All you need to do is email your suggestion/s to email@example.com with the the subject ‘Brexit Competition‘.
For songs we need the title and any one of the artists who performed it; for the books we need the title and the author. You can supply as many suggestions as you wish. If you have any additional ideas, you can also enter more than once. If you want to explain to what aspect of the current fiasco your choice refers to then please append a short note.
The closing date is midnight on Thursday 31 October 2019. I don’t think there’s much else happening at that particular moment, is there?
The winner and runner up will be chosen by Penny and Brian. In either case if more than one person has suggested the same book or song title then we’ll select one of the entrants at random. The winner and runner up might both have suggested book titles or both song titles or one of each. The one we judge to be the best will get the choice of either the £10 voucher from The Naked Grape or the £10 voucher from The Hungerford Bookshop. The runner up will receive the other one.
Terms and conditions
• If you’re not already a subscriber to Penny Post, by entering this competition you’re agreeing to have your email address added to our circulation list. We do not pass on information to third parties and you can opt out at any time. The names of the winners will be announced in an updated version of this post.
• We may add some or all of the responses to this post. These will feature the name of the person suggesting them but no other information.
• Please supply your phone number (only to be used in case we need to contact you if you have won), your name and the town or village in which you live.
• Please DO NOT reply to the competition by posting a comment on this post: you must email firstname.lastname@example.org with the the subject ‘Brexit Competition’.
• The winners will be selected as described above and notified by email within 48 hours of the closing date (see above). If we haven’t heard from you to confirm acceptance within 48 hours of the notification we will select another winner to whom this condition will also apply.
• The winner will be put in touch with The Naked Grape and The Hungerford Bookshop directly to claim their vouchers. These will need to be collected from the shops in person. No change will be given in the event that the item/s purchased cost less than £9.99.