If you want to enjoy all the excitement and atmosphere of our highest-ranked local football club, enter the Penny Post summer competition below to WIN two free season tickets (normally £195 each) for Hungerford Town FC’s 2019-20 season. Five runners-up will get a free ticket to Hungerford’s first home game of the season in August (date and opponent to be announced).
Hungerford Town FC
Although by no means the largest town in the area, Hungerford is proud to have the region’s highest ranked football club. Hungerford Town FC (known as The Crusaders) plays in National League South, the sixth tier of the English football pyramid, to which they were promoted at the end of the 2015-16 season. This league includes teams from places as large as Oxford, Slough, Woking and Bath: last season, it was won by Torquay, a fully professional team which only a few years before had been in the Football League. (Hungerford – badly in need of points to ensure their survival – went to Torquay in the penultimate match of last season and beat them 1-0.) We’re therefore talking about a club which punches well above its weight.
In general, matches take place at Bulpit Lane on alternate Saturdays during the season (early August to late April) although there are some midweek games. The bar and clubhouse (which is also available for private hire) is open before and during the matches and there is covered seating available for over 500 spectators. Children, families and disabled spectators are welcome.
Some of you may support teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal, although to see them play you’d have to travel considerable distances (perhaps as far as Madrid or Baku). The Crusaders are the ‘second’ club (and sometimes the first) for an increasing number of people in the area. Due to Hungerford’s high league status, the team includes loanees from larger clubs who subsequently end up playing in the football league itself.
All you need to do is answer the eight questions below and send your answers to email@example.com with the subject HTFC Competition by noon on Monday 15 July 2019. Please be sure to include a phone number (which we’ll only use if we need to contact you about this competition). Please also tell us in what part of the Penny Post area you live – a town or village name is all we need. Please DO NOT enter by commenting on this post using the form below.
The two season tickets and the five match tickets can be transferred to anyone you choose and are subject to all the normal terms and conditions, including future transferability, that apply to these.
If the winner has already bought a season ticket for 2019-20 then the club will instead provide you with two free season tickets for the 2020-21 season.
Goalies ready? Managers in their technical areas? 22 players on the pitch? Let’s blow the whistle and get this match started…
1. In what year was Hungerford Town FC founded?
2. Which team won the FA Cup in that year?
3. And the Scottish Cup?
4. In which season did Hungerford Town win its first honours, the Newbury Challenge Cup?
5. In which season did Hungerford Town reach the First Round of the FA Cup?
6. Who preceded Jon Boardman and Ian Herring as Hungerford’s Manager in 2017 (and joined Wealdstone)?
7. Who scored Hungerford Town’s last-minute equaliser against East Thurrock in the final match of the 2018-19 season?
8. What colour is Hungerford’s away strip?
Terms & Conditions
• The winners and runners up will be selected at random from the correct or most correct entries received and notified by email within 48 hours of the closing date (see above). Acceptance must be confirmed by email within 48 hours of the notification or we will select another winner or runner up to whom this condition will also apply. The judge’s decision in all matters will be final.
• If you’re not already a subscriber to Penny Post, by entering this competition you’re agreeing to have your email address added to our circulation list. We do not pass on information to third parties and you can opt out at any time.
• Only one entry can be accepted from any one email address.
• The winners and runners up will be put in touch with Hungerford Town FC directly to arrange for the despatch or collection of the tickets.