The Family Law department at Horsey Lightly solicitors in Newbury is here to help you and your family when having to face up to some of life’s most difficult and stressful events such as divorce and separation and related children and financial issues.
At Horsey Lightly, we understand that breaking up is a highly emotional experience. Our dedicated team of solicitors will do everything they can to relieve the burden of your situation, and help you plan for the future. From a relatively straightforward divorce, to more complex matters, where there may be jurisdictional issues, we will provide the exact expertise you need.
Timely advice and support is crucial before you embark on any negotiations with your other half. By understanding your individual circumstances, our team will work quickly to help you establish your long-term financial security and the arrangements for your children.
Our team of skilled specialists will help you find the best way forward which may include:
- Negotiations. Wherever possible we aim to help you and your other half reach an agreement, without the need for court hearings, on the various legal and practical issues arising from relationship breakdown.
- Court applications. If agreement is just not possible and you choose to take a more traditional approach, we will provide the helpful advice you need, and support you through the entire court process. Always, our focus is on seeking a positive and cost-effective outcome.
- Mediation. If you want to reach an agreement out of court, mediation can be a less contentious and more cost-effective route. Mediation can take place before or during the legal process. With this approach, an independent mediator (or co-mediator) works to help parties resolve issues between themselves.
- Collaborative law. As a newer alternative to court-based proceedings, collaborative law is an approach where parties work together with their collaboratively trained lawyers to resolve matters outside of court. This approach can more effectively preserve the relationship between parties, which can be extremely beneficial when children are involved.
Alison Whistler heads up the department ably assisted by her team of specialists Ben Castle and managing partner Jeremy Fitzgibbon. Their work includes the following:
- Divorce and separation
- Financial settlements and orders relating to family finances and property
- Prenuptial agreements
- Cohabitation agreements
- Domestic violence
- Family breakdown
- Children’s arrangements and orders including access and living arrangements
- Collaborative law – for couples focused on an amicable divorce
- Resolution member – avoiding confrontation and reducing costs
For more information and to enquire about booking a fixed-fee initial meeting please contact any of the team:
You can also write to any of them at 2 West Mills, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 5HG