Upcoming Eco Events & News
Heat the Home Counties Grants available for loft and cavity wall insulation and ground and air source heat pumps for residents of West Berkshire,
Newbury EcoBricking every Wednesday 3 – 7pm at Lock, Stock & Barrel Pub
Sun 26 Jan Sustainable Living Market, Thatcham
Weds 29 Jan SustainHUble Market, Wash Common
Sun 29 March Sustainable Living Market, Thatcham
Sun 17 May Sustainable Living Market, Thatcham
Local Climate Change Initiatives
• Conversation with Claire Willser from West Berkshire Climate Action Network and Green Councillor Steve Masters on 4LEGS Radio (listen from 29 minutes in – includes an explanation of how XR Citizen Assemblies work)
• Newbury Town Council was pleased with the turn-out of their first climate workshop, aimed at reducing their 68 tonne annual carbon emission to zero by 2030 if not before.
• Highlights of GreenFest 2019 in Hampstead Norreys: talk by Sir Brian Hoskins, Founding Member of the Climate Change Committee; Panel Discussion including Richard Benyon MP; Lawrence Woodward OBE on Food & Farming Choices for Health and Environment; Should we oppose the expansion of Heathrow?
It seems to be an inalienable right for people to be able to travel as much as they wish. This
This event was organised by West Berkshire Council on 28 October 2019 at Newbury College as a logical next step
Incentive for households to reduce their carbon emissions and electricity bills through clean energy West Berks Climate Action Network (WBCAN)
As predicted, West Berkshire Council unanimously passed a motion on Tuesday 2 July 2019 which had been agreed beforehand by
West Berkshire Green Exchange are a voluntary sector organisation setup in 2013 whose aim is to bring together those people in
• The Wheatsheaf in Chilton Foliat (Britain’s most sustainable pub) serves 80% organic food & drink, (much of it local), uses green energy, grows their own herbs and fruit.
• Price comparison between food shopping at Packaging Not Included zero waste shop in Marlborough versus the supermarkets
• It is commonly accepted now that meat (especially beef) production creates a lot of carbon. But you also have to take into consideration carbon emissions of fruit and vegetables that are flown around the world
Packaging Not Included, the brainchild of Hayley Lambert (see interview below), is Marlborough’s first packaging free food and cleaning products
In response to the climate crisis, the local community group West Berks Climate Action Network has partnered with Iddea Renewable Energy
From May to August, we’ll see 15-16 hours of sunlight a day, compared with 8 hours in December and January.
Electric Cars & Tech
Wessex Scooters are a small local scooter specialist in Brimpton Common near Thatcham with a worldwide reputation for excellence, builder of
Green Machine Computers Ltd has recently received accreditation under ISO 14001, a set of rules which defines the standard for
The Role of Trees in Carbon Capture
How Planting Trees in West Berkshire Can Offset Carbon Emissions by Dr Mike Morecroft, Natural England
Introduction There is wide recognition of the threat posed by climate change and the need to act urgently to reduce
Berlin-based Christian Kroll set out in 2009 with a mission to create a search engine with a positive environmental and
Water & Cleaning Products
How to protect our waterways from pollution and to minimise water waste in our homes.
Plastic & Recycling
• According to Oxfordshire Recycles, the carbon impact of food going to waste is bigger than the impact of the plastic packaging. A wrapped cucumber lasts 3 times as long as an unwrapped one! However, 79% of all plastic items ever produced are still in the environment and having an impact on the planet.
• The first three month of trading at Packaging Not Included in Marlborough has proved a huge success in reducing single use plastic
Among the many things that took place at Hampstead Norreys’ inaugural GreenFest, was the official unveiling of Sammy, Hampstead Norreys Primary Schools’
West Berkshire Council has teamed up with their waste contractor Veolia to install eight new recycling litter bins in Newbury
An Introduction to Plastics Recycling by Dr Peter Cox Dr Peter Cox is a chartered mechanical engineer who first started
It’s surprising how much you can recycle thanks to local people who have set up TerraCycle collection points. See below for success
Local Environmental Groups
Please consider joining a local group to meet likeminded people in your community and learn more about actions you can take to reduce waste and fight climate breakdown. (Please leave a comment below if you would like to have your group featured here).
- West Berkshire Green Exchange
- West Berkshire Climate Action Network facebook group
- Thatcham Against Plastic
- Thatcham & Newbury plastic free, recycling & zero waste
- Newbury Climate Strike
- Hungerford Environmental Action Team
- Pangbourne and Whitchurch Sustainability Group (PAWS)
- Sustainable Wantage
- Extinction Rebellion Devizes & Marlborough
- Transition Marlborough
- Carbon Neutral Aldbourne
Petitions and Campaigns to Support
Change.org petition to get every product clearly labelled with its carbon footprint
38 degrees petition to EU for mandatory carbon emissions labelling
Petition to parliament: compulsory labelling of their carbon footprint of all products sold in UK