• The inaugural Food Waste Action Week is 1 – 7 March 2021. Wasted food contributes 8–10% of total man-made greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and roughly one third of food produced around the world is wasted. Take part in the food waste action challenge.
• February’s Environmental News from West Berks Council includes solar farm plans, wild verges & making Theale train station more functional for cyclists and EV drivers.
Local Climate Change Initiatives
• Scouts’ woodland diversity and pre-school energy efficiency projects receive Newbury Town Council’s first climate change grants.
• Conversation with Claire Willser from West Berkshire Climate Action Network and Green Councillor Steve Masters on 4LEGS Radio (listen from 29 minutes in – includes an explanation of how XR Citizen Assemblies work)
• Price comparison between food shopping at Packaging Not Included zero waste shop in Marlborough versus the supermarkets
• The methane emissions of rice cultivation has the same climate impact as aviation.
• It is commonly accepted now that meat (especially beef) production creates a lot of carbon. But you also have to take into consideration carbon emissions of fruit and vegetables that are flown around the world
• Local honey suppliers in your area
Reducing Food Waste
Wasted food contributes 8–10% of total man-made greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and roughly one third of food produced around the world is wasted.
• lots of tips on the lovefoodhatewaste website
• Lambourn Valley residents can share food for free on this facebook group
• BBOWT (Berks, Bucks and Oxon Wildlife Trust) facebook page has lots of advice on supporting wildlife and making your garden wildlife friendly. They have a lovely guide to looking after wild bees in your garden.
The Role of Trees in Carbon Capture
• Hampstead Norrey Community Shop is planting its own orchard of heritage fruit trees
Water & Cleaning Products
How to protect our waterways from pollution and to minimise water waste in our homes.
Plastic & Recycling
• According to Oxfordshire Recycles, the carbon impact of food going to waste is bigger than the impact of the plastic packaging. A wrapped cucumber lasts 3 times as long as an unwrapped one! However, 79% of all plastic items ever produced are still in the environment and having an impact on the planet.
• Recycling Hive website explains where everything can be recycled in Newbury, Thatcham and Wantage areas.
• Packshare website allows you to donate packaging materials to local companies.
• Packaging Not Included in Marlborough has proved a huge success in reducing single use plastic
• Newbury EcoBricking every Wednesday 3 – 7pm at Lock, Stock & Barrel Pub
Clothes & Shopping
• How to take a more sustainable approach to your wardrobe…without buying a single thing by Victoria Lochhead from Frankie & Ruby Dress Agency
• It was inspiring to chat with Karen Kirton from Berkshire on a Budget about her progress and ongoing plans for a No Spend 2020 including testing free offers on food apps, free pampers and make-up samples, free music lessons and computer support. Listen here:
Local Environmental Groups
Please consider joining a local group to meet likeminded people in your community and learn more about actions you can take to reduce waste and fight climate breakdown. (Please leave a comment below if you would like to have your group featured here).
- West Berkshire Green Exchange
- West Berkshire Climate Action Network facebook group
- Thatcham Against Plastic
- Thatcham & Newbury plastic free, recycling & zero waste
- Newbury Climate Strike
- Hungerford Environmental Action Team
- Pangbourne and Whitchurch Sustainability Group (PAWS)
- Sustainable Wantage
- Extinction Rebellion Devizes & Marlborough
- Transition Marlborough
- Carbon Neutral Aldbourne
- Wild Oxfordshire
- West Berks Natural Environmental Meet-Up Group – sign up for monthly zoom talk
- GreenFest YouTube Channel has a range of interesting talks and workshops to watch
Petitions and Campaigns to Support
Change.org petition to get every product clearly labelled with its carbon footprint
38 degrees petition to EU for mandatory carbon emissions labelling
Petition to parliament: compulsory labelling of their carbon footprint of all products sold in UK