Latest news about environmental initiatives in our local area
Upcoming Eco Events
Make your own green cleaning products Thurs 27 June, Marlborough
PAWS A.G.M. followed by a talk on ‘Charging for Electric Cars’ Thurs 27 June, Pangbourne
Sheepdrove Sustainable Venue Open Evening Fri 28 June, Lambourn
Climate Protest Tues 2 July, West Berks Council Offices
Eco Craft Workshops for families Sat 6 July, Hungerford
Monthly Repair Cafe Sat 6 July, Wantage
Hungerford Green Drinks Tues 9 July, Hungerford
Sustainable Living Market Sat 20 July, Thatcham
Local Environmental Groups
Please consider joining a local group to meet likeminded people in your community and learn more about actions you can take to reduce waste and fight climate breakdown. (Please leave a comment below if you would like to have your group featured here).
- West Berkshire Green Exchange
- West Berkshire Climate Action Network facebook group
- Thatcham Against Plastic
- Newbury Climate Strike
- Hungerford Environmental Action Team
- Pangbourne and Whitchurch Sustainability Group (PAWS)
- Sustainable Wantage
- Extinction Rebellion Devizes & Marlborough
• David Attenborough’s strongest message so far: Climate Change – The Facts
• The Vale of the White Horse and Wiltshire Councils have recently voted to become one of the 40 or so councils in the UK to declare a climate emergency. Dave Waltham, a geophysicist at Royal Hollow College, was involved in the campaign that led to this decision. In this article he reflects on the debate at the council meeting and identifies some powerful reasons why more councils need to follow suit.
• Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when our use of natural resources exceeds what the planet can renew in the year. We maintain this deficit by liquidating stocks of resources and accumulating waste, primarily carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Berlin-based Christian Kroll set out in 2009 with a mission to create a search engine with a positive environmental and
West Berkshire Green Exchange are a voluntary sector organisation setup in 2013 whose aim is to bring together those people in
Miri Lee and the West Berkshire Climate Action Network have launched a petition is to ask Richard Benyon, MP for
• The Wheatsheaf in Chilton Foliat (Britain’s most sustainable pub) serves 80% organic food & drink, (much of it local), uses green energy, grows their own herbs and fruit, and invites diners to donate £1 to the Carbon Footprint charity on each bill.
• You can drop off your used cooking oil at The Red House pub in Marsh Benham who has it collected
It’s official – The Wheatsheaf in Chilton Foliat is Britain’s most sustainable pub. This is not according the the owners,
Packaging Not Included, the brain child of Hayley Lambert (see interview below), is Marlborough’s first packaging free food and cleaning
Plastic & Recycling
• According to Oxfordshire Recycles, the carbon impact of food going to waste is bigger than the impact of the plastic packaging. A wrapped cucumber lasts 3 times as long as an unwrapped one! However, 79% of all plastic items ever produced are still in the environment and having an impact on the planet.
• The first three month of trading at Packaging Not Included in Marlborough has proved a huge success in reducing single use plastic
An Introduction to Plastics Recycling by Dr Peter Cox Dr Peter Cox is a chartered mechanical engineer who first started
Electric Cars & Tech
Green Machine Computers Ltd has recently received accreditation under ISO 14001, a set of rules which defines the standard for
how to protect our waterways from pollution and to minimise water waste in our homes