Volunteering is good for the soul (and for the CV if you are between jobs).
Below is a selection of volunteering positions currently available. (If you are one of the organisations mentioned and the positions are no longer available, or if you have volunteer vacancy you would like listed, please email email@example.com)
Across the Area
• Can you spare three hours a week during school term time to volunteer with ABC To Read and support local children who struggle to read and lack confidence at primary school? We have many children waiting for help in Thatcham, Newbury, Hungerford, Theale and Burghfield. Our next new volunteer training is being held on 11 October. Please enquire firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website abctoread.org.uk
• The North Wessex Downs Landscape Trust is looking for trustees and volunteers – click here for details.
• Volunteer Ambassadors are required by the NorthWessex Downs AONB, based in Hungerford, to help represent this remarkable area to visitors. Click here for details.
• Volunteer drivers are needed by community transport groups in West Berkshire – click here for details.
• Volunteer drivers needed by Newbury Cancer Care to take patients to vital hospital appointments
• Community and co-responders are volunteers who support the work of the South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS). Responders are actively being sought who are based in Hungerford, Inkpen, Kintbury, Newbury and the Lambourn Valley. Click here for details.
• A wide range of volunteering activities in the area is co-ordinated by Volunteer West Berkshire – click here to visit the site.
• The Veterans Charity helps ex-Service personnel who are in need of assistance. It calls itself ‘The Rapid Reaction Force of Military Charities’, and swiftly provides such necessities as accommodation, food, medical help and counselling to veterans who call on it. Most of the work is concentrated in the South of England, and volunteers are urgently needed. Anyone, male or female, who is ex-Service or supports our Armed Forces and has the time to spend a day with a bucket at a supermarket or a street corner would be most welcome. The charity has frequent collection days in Newbury, Didcot, Reading, Basingstoke and London, but requires volunteers based anywhere. Apply to the Trustee: Major Michael Massy-Beresford, 11 Charleville Mansions, London W14 9JB 0207 381 2055 email@example.com.
Swindon & District
• Great Western Hospital is always looking for volunteers to help provide a wide range of help and support to staff and patients. Click here for details.
• Oak and Furrows Wildlife Rescue Centre is calling for volunteer drivers to help transport animals and volunteer administrators to help out with reception and office duties. Click here for details.
• Swindon Samaritans is ‘always seeking dependable people willing to donate some of their valuable time.’ Contact 01793 526430 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest .
• Care Home Volunteers, which recruits and trains volunteers to spend time with elderly residents in care homes in and around Swindon, is looking for caring, friendly and compassionate volunteers to support individual residents by providing social contact and friendship.
• Swindon’s Citizen’s Advice is looking for volunteers, particularly for administration and reception duties. Please click here if you can help.
• Oak and Furrows Wildlife Rescue Centre in Cricklade urgently needs volunteers during its busy baby animal season. Click here for details.
Marlborough & District
• Volunteer drivers are needed for Kennet Community Transport charity which takes elderly people to the Jubilee Centre and on outings. Roly, the driver, is the only employee. We need volunteer drivers to cover for when he is unavailable. You will need to be permitted to drive D1 group vehicles or already have a full PSV bus licence. KCT will arrange the DBS check and MiDAS minibus training for you. Anyone who can help, please either tell Roly on the bus; or phone Roger Hagerty on 01672 540698 or Alexander Kirk Wilson on 01672 513861.
Lambourn & Downlands
• Volunteers are required to help run the Great Shefford Youth Club – click here for more information.
• The recent changes to the local library service have resulted in the need for a new model for the Lambourn Library. There are currently 16 community volunteers but more are always needed. Please contact email@example.com, or visit the library to talk to the volunteers and staff, or contact WBC’s Volunteer Officer Gemma Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Click here to visit the Community First website which supports and promotes a range of volunteering opportunities in Wiltshire.
Wantage & District
• The Ray Collins Charitable Trust is always on the lookout for volunteers to help with its many fundraising events and other charitable activities. Contact Ray and the team by clicking here.
• The Wantage Independent Advice Centre is looking for volunteers to fill various roles – click here for more.
• The Vale & Downland Museum wishes to recruit volunteers to join its existing team of volunteers. We are looking for people from all backgrounds and abilities to help us in ta range of areas. Click here for more information.
Hungerford & District
• Kintbury Youth Club is looking for volunteers and other staff members. Please contact David Seward at Berkshire Youth on 0118 909 0927 or email@example.com.
• Hungerford Library is also looking for volunteers to work in the building – click here for more.
• Hungerford Primary School is looking for a volunteer Adult Literacy Teacher to work on a 1:1 basis with adult learners. Please contact the school office on 01488 682230 for further information.
• The Rose of Hungerford on the beautiful Kennet and Avon canal is looking for Volunteers to help with the operation and running of boat. If you are over 16, enjoy boats and being on the water, this opportunity could be for you. Experience the fun of working as part of a team, enjoy the opportunity to chat with our guests and help this very important charity – Click here for more.
• Would you like to mentor a young person at John O’Gaunt School? Can you spare a one hour a week to join the Captain of my Ship programme and be a positive role model for students requiring extra support to ensure they maximise their life and education choices. Each mentor receives full training and support from Adviza. If you would like more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Lambourn Riding for Disabled, based in Chilton Foliat, is always looking for volunteers to help in various ways, mainly during term times on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Contact email@example.com
• Please click here to see a list of organisations which have recently received grants from Hungerford Town Council. Many of these have need of volunteers to help with various aspects of their work.
• The Red Cross charity shop in Hungerford is looking for volunteers to help with all aspects of work of its shop in the High Street. Click here for more.
Newbury & District
• Newbury Cancer Care needs volunteer drivers mostly to take people to and from local hospitals. Contact Sylvia Fones or Helen Milroy on 01635 31542 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Home-Start West Berkshire helps give children the best start in life and has local families in need of your support. They give you all the training and support you need to help families with young children. For more information please contact 01635 760310 or email@example.com or visit the website.
• Click here for information about volunteering at the Newbury Soup Kitchen.
• Would you like to make new friends, learn new skills and enjoy exploring a 1950’s military building with it’s fascinating history and amazing views? Greenham Control Tower is looking for volunteers as we open as a visitor centre and community cafe. We have a variety of roles, including guides, cafe and many others. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Trustees are needed by local youth counselling charity Time to Talk West Berkshire. Trustees will need attend a monthly meeting on a weekday evening and support promotional and fund-raising events as and when convenient. The charity hearing from young people near in age to the clients for whom it provides its services. Contact email@example.com
• The National Needlework Archive/Old Chapel Textile Centre at Greenham Business park is looking for volunteers to help in its new shop area, greeting visitors, stewarding, events, admin and tea room. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
Thatcham to Theale
• Volunteer co-ordinator (one day a week or fortnight) needed by The Living Rainforest in Hampstead Norreys. The role is to support our volunteers, process paperwork for new volunteers applying, assist with the recruitment of new volunteers and speak to volunteer agencies such as West Berks Volunteer Centre. Contact email@example.com.
• Mercy In Action, in Theale High Street is looking for volunteer (16yrs+) for Saturdays. Someone with a love of fashion and style would be ideal. Drop into the shop or call 01189 306 399.
• Volunteers are needed for a variety of roles at Reading Museum. Click here for details.
• Please click here for a range of volunteering opportunities in Thatcham, from the Town Council website.
• There are many ways you can volunteer to help support Theale Primary School. Click here for details.
• 1st Aldermaston Scout Group currently has 65 young people enjoying scouting, supported by eight leaders and six executive committee members. More volunteers are always needed to help with the wide range of activities and events this group organises.
• Thatcham Youth is always looking for help from volunteers and is open to all offers of help. Click here for details.