The extraordinary history of Greenham Common and its unique natural environment will be shared in a series of fascinating, free talks to be held at Greenham Common Control Tower during the summer months. They will give people the opportunity to visit the Grade II listed building ahead of its opening as a visitor heritage attraction in September this year.
The talks will address the military history of Greenham Common, its national and international significance and the Common’s ecology, nature and wildlife.
- Tim Prince of the Royal International Air Tattoo described the days when the Air Tattoo was held on the Common in ‘Can We Borrow Your Airfield?‘ on 6 June.
- Jonathan Sayers will talk about The history of the Common’s airfield on 26 June.
- Alex Cruickshank and Ed Cooper will talk on A Special Place For Wildlife – The Story of the Restoration of Greenham and Cookham Commons on 18 July.
- Greenham Common as a place for protest will be reflected in Why we stayed and what we achieved: Greenham Common Women’s Peace Camp 1981 – 1993 by Juley Howard and Lynette Edwell on 1 August.
- The myths surrounding civilian evacuation in wartime will be dispelled by Dr Martin Parsons in I’ll Take That One on 8 August.
- Colonel Mike Relph’s talk on 29 August is called The Kennet Valley at War.
All talks start at 7.30pm. Please book your free tickets in advance (booking information below).
Funding received from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), made possible by money raised by National Lottery players, has enabled the programme of talks and will also be used to train volunteers and to plan and launch new exhibits and interpretations of Greenham Common’s history at the Control Tower. A series of ticketed live interpretation events marking the official opening of Greenham Common Control Tower will take place from 8 to 16 September. Booking at http://cornexchangenew.com/events.
There will be a fundraising quiz night at Greenham Common Control Tower on Saturday 30 June at 7.30pm. Tickets are £1.50 per person. Find out more and book tickets https://bit.ly/2kB2gi3
All of the talks take place at Greenham Common Control Tower, Burys Bank Road, Thatcham RG19 8BZ
‘Can We Borrow Your Airfield?’ – Weds 6 June at 7.30pm
Book tickets: https://bit.ly/2shQyg
A History of Greenham Common Airfield – Mon 26 June at 7.30pm
Book tickets: https://bit.ly/2JdUmJ
A Special Place for Wildlife – The Story of the Restoration of Greenham and Cookham Commons – Tue 18 July
Book tickets: https://bit.ly/2IUtZb
‘Why we stayed and what we achieved: Greenham Common Women’s Peace Camp 1981 – 1993’ – Tue 1 August
‘I’ll Take That One.’ Dispelling The Myths of Civilian Evacuation in Wartime Britain – Tue 8 August
Book tickets: https://bit.ly/2srbLn
The Kennet Valley at War – Tue 29 August
Book tickets: https://bit.ly/2kEsAI