Visit the Local News section of PP website for this week’s Local News including CATs, Mayors, bells, road signs, elections, consultations, popes and roadworks.
Apologies to those of you in Hungerford – we needed to send the Penny Post Hungerford newsletter on 3 May twice, the first one having missed out an important link to the Hungerford Town Council meeting. The correct email was suffixed ‘SORRY PLEASE READ THIS ONE.’ Here is the link to the correct version. (See this week’s Local News for another example of ‘click too quick’ syndrome…)
Local Events – see below
• upcoming workshops & courses:
• Weekend Nutrition Course 6/7 May Newbury
• Everybody Sing! Workshop Sat 6 May Stockcross
• Performance Workshops Sun 7 May for anyone who wants to act, sing or dance in the Greenham: War & • Peace Community event 7 & 8 Sept (click here for details of rehearsal dates)
• Drawing on the iPad with Diana Seidl 16 May,Honesty Coffee shop in Inkpen
• Calm Quiet Space Mindfulness Weds 17 May to 18 June in Great Bedwyn
• Make a Personalised Fabric Baby Book Gift – rescheduled to Mon 15 May in Hungerford
• Make a Pinafore Dress for a Baby/Girl 10am 4pm Sat 20 May, Hungerford
• FAST Self Defence Workshops Sat 20 May, Chilton Foliat click on link for times – highly recommended by a friend of mine
• Patisserie Masterclasses with The Vineyard’s Head Pastry Chef – Chocolate Tempering 18 May, Afternoon Tea 8 June, Chocolate Desserts for Beginners 22 June – all 6-9pm
• Lindsay in Hungerford recommends Cliff Verral’s Four Oaks Cars Taxi Service: “Cliff is an excellent driver who uses his extensive knowledge of the local area to cope with any traffic or road problems.”
• Belinda recommends Silvia Luce’s Sewing Workshops: “I really enjoyed the workshops and feel confident using my sewing machine now. I’m looking forward to the next session.”
• Congratulations to Amanda Smith for winning our cryptic April Quiz (for answers click here) and thanks to The Hungerford Arms for donating a meal for two as a lovely prize.
• Our short and sweet May Quiz is about fitness and the prize is one month’s membership at the fab new Seeds 2 Glory Fitness Studio just south of Hungerford.
• a friend of ours is looking to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house in Hungerford starting asap. If you have a property available please contact Jane Price on Priceajl@btinternet.com
• three-bedroom South Fawley Cottage to rent from May. £1,200 pcm. Lovely rural location just 5 miles south of Wantage.
• Click here for a range of properties to rent and for sale in Hungerford.
See the Property News section of Penny Post for a range of property-related articles.
• The M4 is closed between Jncts 12 & 13 next weekend (12-15 May – but not this weekend as was originally planned) so expect congestion in Newbury/Thatcham area. It may also be closed from 19-22 May as well.
• Welford & Wickham 10k is this Sunday so the road up to Welford Barns from the bottom road to Newbury will be closed
• Four Oaks Cars based in Kintbury offer a transport service for wheelchair users, buggies and bicycles – see video demonstration here.
• we have a 1.6L Ford Focus available for spares or repair. Drives fine and bodywork OK but no exhaust or MOT. Offers accepted. Please reply to this.
• it’s Financial Planning Week from 8 to 12 May. To help you get started with any re-booting you want to do in this direction, Brown Dog Financial Planning is offering a free, no-obligation chat and help you get started with some tips and tools. Contact them (click on link above) during this period to claim your session. You can also click here to read some further advice on the subject.
• 10% discount on this week’s matching wine from The Naked Grape in Hungerford.
See the Penny Post website for local jobs including: classical music sales assistant, Newbury • Canal boat Staff & Canal Boat Crew, Kintbury • Delivery Driver, Hungerford • Cleaner/Housekeeper, Hungerford area • PT Housekeeper, Inkpen • Van Driver, near Ramsbury • Waiter/Waitress, Chilton Foliat • Stockperson, Lambourn • Library Trustees, Hungerford • Waiter/Front of House Supervisor, Inkpen • Full-time Care Assistants, West Berkshire • Occupational Therapist, West Berkshire • Massage Therapist, West Berkshire • Cleaners, West Berkshire • Charity Shop Volunteers, Hungerford • Homecare Assistants, throughout West Berkshire.
• retained (on-call) fire fighters earn approx £500/mnth and are desperately needed in Hungerford, Lambourn, Mortimer and Pangbourne. Find out more at the Lambourn Fire Station Have a Go Day 10am-2.30pm Sat 6 May.
• on Careers Tutor this week: film and humanitarian summer internships and sports consultancy.
• What does the new Apprenticeship Levy mean to your business? Free business breakfast at Newbury College Tues 9 May to explain all.
• Welcome to The Lambourn Centre which provides a wide range of activities and exercise classes for all ages (more regularly being added) as well hiring out its hall for private functions and children’s parties.
• if you want to raise money for your local group, enter the Newbury Rotary Sponsored Walk on Sunday 7 May: or you can do it for a donation to Rotary which supports lots of good causes.
• Bluebird Care Newbury is giving another £250 community grant to a local group that supports elderly people. Click here for how to apply – deadline 17 May.
• see this week’s Local News for a list of just some of the people who’ve helped to raise money for good causes recently.
Four Legged Friends
• imagine my surprise this morning when I opened the cupboard door under our kitchen sink and discovered a little brown mouse sitting in our food compost bin. Our cats must have brought it in yesterday afternoon before curfew so they would have something to play with while they were trapped in the house. The mouse didn’t last long…
• if your dog is showing any behavioural problems, help is at hand – Zen Dog Whisperer Ken Stronach has worked with the large (such as Bull Mastiffs) and the small (such as Jack Russells) and most sizes in between with some astonishing results, as you can read here…
• Hungerford’s Tutti Day has been and gone for another year – but if you missed it, Penny Post was on hand to capture the key moments of the day on video.
• Guide to the May Sky by Newbury Astronomical Society – did you know the star half way along the handle of The Big Dipper is a naked eye double star? Mizar and its companion Alcor is just visible to most people but can be easily seen using binoculars.
• in the latest Transition Marlborough news: road safety demo photo op Weds 20 May & Zen cooking film Weds 25 May.
• see this month’s Sustainable Wantage for upcoming Mix workshops, Resource Bank requests and lots more
• Welford & Wickham 10k Run this Sunday – the organisers have asked us to let you know that entries will be accepted on the day
• thanks to young Alfie Smith for submitting his impressive Bronze Art Award review of Oil Gallery in Hungerford.
• would you like a stall at Newbury Carnival Fete in Victoria Park from 12-6pm on Sun 16 July? 10,000 people expected. Please contact Fete Manager Michelle for more information on firstname.lastname@example.org.
• as we’re about to enter a month of political slogans and sound bites, you might want to have another look at my husband’s survey of some wonderfully vigorous and specific slogans launched in North Korea in 2015. Could any of these be re-used here? he wondered…
• we will be interviewing our local general-election candidates (as we did in 2015) so please reply to this if you have a question you’d like us to pose. In addition, there will be a hustings in Hungerford on Thurs 1 June.
• see this week’s Local News for the usual mix including click-too-quick syndrome strikes again, Hungerford Town Council Meeting report, what not do when stuck behind a bin van, football round-up and cold comfort for the grape harvest.
• highlights of the Crafty Craft Race on Monday – lots of splashy fun on the Kennet & Avon Canal between Kintbury & Newbury, organised by Newbury Round Table. Congratulations to all the teams including our gang from John O’Gaunt who won the Fastest Junior Team.
• thank you to the subscribers who have made donations this week – very much appreciated.
See below for upcoming local events!
For more visit our calendar
Fri 5 May
Sat 6 May
Growing4All Open Day 10am-3pm Cottismore Park near Kingsclere with plants for sale grown by adults with learning difficulties
Barr’s Yard, Hungerford – opens for the firt time at 9am.
WB MENCAP Zumbathon 4-6pm Nuffield Health, Newbury
Lambourn Fire Station Have a Go Day 10am-2.30pm
Lambourn Indoor Market 10am Walwyn Hall, Lambourn
The Big Bike Sale 12noon St John’s Marlborough SN8 4AX. Bring bikes to sell from 11am. 30% of proceeds to PTA.
Gastro Nick’s pop-up, Hungerford Town Hall 11am-4pm
Kintbury Jumble Sale 2-4pm Coronation Hall, Kintbury
Pat-a-Cake Baby 11am-12noon New Greenham Arts Fun show for 2-7 yr olds.
More on PP Calendar: Bike Maintenance & Intro to Permaculture in Wantage, Planting for Wildlife at Thatcham Discovery Centre
Sun 7 May
Monthly Barn Sale 10am – 12pm Trindledown NAWT on Wantage Rd just outside Great Shefford