Local Events – see below
• in case you missed it here is our Spring Guide to local courses with plenty to Stretch the Mind, Flex the Body, Soothe The Soul, Get Creative, Train the Dog and offer you Food for Thought.
• new Spanish language courses starting soon nr Newbury for all levels.
• Kelly Louise Flower School is running a facebook competition to win a flower party – entry deadline Mon 3 Apr.
• see Sun 2 Apr in events below for chance to get involved in this year’s Boxford Masques – highly recommended chance for amateur actors to work with professional director & crew.
• Laura and Matt from Wantage recommend Cheek2Cheek Dance: “Alison is such a wonderful dance teacher…”
• Mark from Amesbury recommends Gastro Nicks: “I’m so glad I popped my head through the door and discovered your ‘Aladin’s Cave’ of goodies…”
• Dudleigh Films in Newbury have a great Spring Studio Special Offer – 5 professional talking heads videos from just £250
• Early Bird Tax Return for Sole Trader Offer – just £39.95 from Wise Bookkeeping if you book by 5 April 2017 (and submit your income and expenditure figures by 30 April).
• South Fawley Cottage to rent available now. £950 pcm. Lovely rural location just 5 miles south of Wantage
• grazing & stable available to rent in Hungerford from 1 May
• Properties to rent with Nye & Co:
2 rooms available in a shared house in Hungerford, of 4 people in total, £275pcm/£300pcm (dependant on size) plus £120 towards utility bills and cleaning. Available Now.
2-bed ground-floor maisonette, Hungerford £700pcm. Available Now.
3-bed detached house with garden and garage, Hungerford, £1,150pcm. Available Now.
2-bed semi-detached house with garden and garage, Headley, £1,050pcm. Available Now.
3-bed semi-detached house with garden and garage, Hungerford, £1,050pcm. Available April.
• You’ve looked round a dozen properties and finally found the right house: next you have to decide how much to offer. Jon Rich from Brearley & Rich offers some advice about this delicate matter.
See the Property News section of Penny Post for other property-related articles.
• Roadworks on the M4 mean the motorway will be fully or partially closed between junctions 12 and 13 at various times between now and late May with diversions through Newbury, Thatcham and Woolhampton. FYI Highways England site allows you to search for roadworks in any part of the country
• Four Oaks Cars based in Kintbury offers a taxi service for a wide range of clients and occasions: wheelchair users, bicycle transportation, airport transfers & race days.
See the Penny Post website for local jobs including: Assistant Management Accountant, Lambourn • Teaching Assistant, Padworth • Library Trustees, Hungerford • Waiter/Front of House Supervisor, Inkpen • Teaching Assistants, Hungerford • Primary Teacher, Hungerford • Experienced Gardeners, Lambourn • Part-time Waiting Staff, Little Bedwyn • Full-time Care Assistants, West Berkshire • Part-time Lifeguards, Hungerford • Car Mechanic, Newbury •Occupational Therapist, West Berkshire • Massage Therapist, West Berkshire • Cleaners, West Berkshire • Charity Shop Volunteers, Hungerford • Homecare Assistants, throughout West Berkshire
• Leading UK furniture maker Benchmark’s Apprenticeship Open Day 9.30am – 1pm Sat 1 April for anyone wanting to join their Apprenticeship programme in September 2017.
• interested in becoming a teacher? Book a 30 min appointment Thurs 27 April at John O’Gaunt School, Hungerford to learn about the Excalibur Train to Teach programme.
• if you’re over 19, unemployed, live in West Berks and need confidence applying for work this free six week Get Started! course at Heros Charity in Fawley is for you.
Please support the businesses which support Penny Post!
• Public Chamber of Commerce meeting about Small Business Rates and the recent revaluation – Thurs 6 Apr, The Three Swans Hotel, Hungerford• Athena Open Meeting 12 – 2pm Fri 7 April. Great networking opportunity for local business women.
• a friend of ours works in a mental health unit in Swindon and has clients who want to start exercising but aren’t allowed in gyms because they don’t have the right footwear. She asks ifPenny Post readers might be able to help.
• can you help secure the future of Hungerford Library by becoming a trustee?
• See this week’s Local News section for a list of just some of the people who’ve helped to raise money for good causes recently.
Four (and two) Legged Friends
• grazing & stable available to rent in Hungerford from 1 May.
• Launch Party for The Real Pet Detective at Hungerford Bookshop on Friday 7 April.
• Fun Dog Show (indoor barn sale) this Sun 2 Apr at Trindledown Farm nr Great Shefford.
• this week’s lovely Nature Notes by Nicola Chester – about a swarm of starlings and a peregrine.
• Develop Your Dog with Jill Thorpe – her next dog training course starts 3 May in Marlborough. She also does behavioural support puppy training in your home.
• Hungerford’s unique Hocktide is coming up next month. Click here for an article explaining its history and describing the main events – as well as a 1991 video narrated by Johnny Morris.
• after years of living by the River Lambourn I have finally captured its annual rising on video. It was quite tricky to film over a two week period. As the water rose, the brick moved that marked my tripod position so the shots don’t line up as much as I hoped. I went handheld in the end (and got a wet bum on the last shot…) Thanks to Peter Cooke at Dudleigh Films for his technical feedback (if you ever want a professional time-lapse video made, he is your man!)
• Newbury filmmaker Jean Maye is seeking sponsorship to complete her moving short film Finding Hope about how a couple cope after losing a child. Please click here for details about how you can get involved with this film which was shot around Newbury with professional actors and local extras.
• congratulations to the Save The White Hart campaigners in Hamstead Marshall – news just come through that planners have refused the current owner’s application to convert the pub into housing.
• see this week’s Local News for the usual mix including changes to council boundaries, reaction to the delays at Sandleford, a quick local football round up and some changes to the Neighbourhood.
• look out for the LiftYourMIND Roadshow coming to your local town soon (Thatcham this Sat and Hungerford next Sat)! Help your town lift the most weight and find out how health and fitness can help your mind.
• April Fools’ Day is coming up: it hasn’t arrived yet, though, so there’s nothing to see in this week’s Penny Post (might be a different story for those who subscribe to Penny Post Hungerford, however, which will arrive on Saturday.) Just to get you in the mood, here’s a tale from my husband, Stiff Upper Lip. It might not have taken place in April but he certainly made a fool of himself.
PS: If you know anyone else who might also enjoy this week’s Penny Post, please click here to forward it them!
Some highlights from the Penny Post Calendar.
Sat 1 Apr
JOG Colour Mile HAS SOLD OUT – tickets will not be available on the day
LiftYourMIND 9am – 2.30pm Broadway Green,Thatcham
Vintage Fair City Arts Newbury (& Sun 2 Apr)
New:Music Showcase 7pm Corn Exchange, Newbury. Great local bands including Mosaic and Tyrant. Hogan Music will be giving away a brand new guitar to a lucky member of the audience!
Sun 2 Apr
ATE April Amble in aid of Ghana. Enjoy a lovely walk from Ramsbury to Aldbourne (or vice versa). Suggested donation to participate is £5 on the day. Under 12s free.To raise more sponsorship please download the sponsorship form here: ateghana.org/the-2800-mile-challenge/
Boxford Masques Meet & Greet BBQ 12 – 4pm Boxford Village Hall – great opportunity to get involved in this fantastic community play with professional writer, director & crew. No previous experience necessary.
Thurs 6 Apr
Charity Quiz Night 7.30pm The Hungerford Arms. To support local postie Glen Mackenzie running the marathon in aid of the Southgate Sport & Leisure Trust.
Sat 8 Apr
LiftYourMIND roadshow 9am – 2.30pm Hungerford Town Hall steps
Thurs 13 Apr Cycle Coaching Event for 5 – 14 yr olds. Newbury Showground
Thus 20 Apr Samba Drum Workshops for 7 yrs upwards nr Thatcham
Sat 22 Apr Mothers & Daughters: Make A Skater Skirt 10am – 4.30pm, Hungerford
Easter Climbing Extravaganza for Juniors at Rockstar Climbing in Swindon 10 – 21 April
Easter Sessions at Reading Climbing School (inc daily Easter Egg hunts)
Sat 22 Apr LiftYourMIND Roadshow 9am – 2.30pm Newbury
Thu 27 & Fri 28 April The Empty Nesters’ Club by John Godber, Corn Exchange – one for the Mums and Dads
Sat 6 May WB MENCAP’s Growing4All Open Day nr Kingsclere