Visit the Local News section of PP website for this week’s news including pubs, consultations, town meetings, civic awards and police updates.
Local Events – see below
• Golf for Over 50s at Donnington Grove Golf Club ( 11am – 12pm Wednesdays until 12 April) just £3 per session. An introduction to golf with a fully qualified golf pro for beginners or improvers. Contact Tom on 07810 481646 or [email protected].
• all invited to paint silk banners with artist Ali Pretty Weds 29 – Fri 31 Mar and Mon 3 – Fri 7 Apr in preparation for Greenham Common Trust’s anniversary celebrations in September. Please book with [email protected] or Ameneh on 07946 424 007. All abilities welcome.
• Peter from Newbury recommends Elite Garage Services – independent specialist & MOT station.“Good honest reliable family run local business! Can’t fault the service they offer! Great value, very helpful!!”
• if you need help with dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia, we recommend Jacqui Flisher, who will be holding her regular free monthly advice session at Hungerford Library 10am – 12noon Sat 25 Mar for anyone who has concerns about a child or loved one who may be struggling at school, college, university or work. Can’t make the library, then visit www.a-new-way.co.uk to request a free 30 minute no obligation telephone chat.
• the lovely new Natura Spa officially opening on Sat 1 Apr at Inglewood nr Kintbury is offering special Mother’s Day pamper treats on Fri 24 & Sat 25 March – or buy a gift voucher that is valid for 3 months
• March Madness Computer Sale at Green Machine (between Hungerford & Ramsbury) – up to 25% off until 31 March if you trade in an old computer you don’t need any more! I’m going to get a new laptop tomorrow to replace one I got from them several years ago.
• Early Bird Tax Return for Sole Trader Offer – just £39.95 from Wise Bookkeeping if you book by 5 April 2017 (and submit your income and expenditure figures by 30 April). This is a great incentive for people like me who normally leave filing their taxes till the January deadline. Aliz will help you get it out of the way so you can enjoy the rest of the year guilt-free!
• Hungerford Bookshop‘s new online bookshop (with useful categories) is giving all customers 10% off their first online order (valid until the end of March). Just add the coupon code open10 at the checkout to claim your discount.
See the Penny Post website for local jobs including: Waiter/Front of House Supervisor, Inkpen • Teaching Assistants, Hungerford • Primary Teacher, Hungerford • Gardeners, Lambourn • Part-time Waiting Staff, Little Bedwyn • Full-time Care Assistants, West Berkshire • Hotel Receptionist, Newbury • Music Sales Account Assistant, Welford • • Welder Fabricator and Mechanic, both East Garston • Part-time Lifeguards, Hungerford • Stable Manager, Upper Lambourn • Car Mechanic, Newbury • Occupational Therapist, West Berkshire • Massage Therapist, West Berkshire • Cleaners, West Berkshire • Charity Shop Volunteers, Hungerford • Homecare Assistants, throughout West Berkshire
• Leading UK furniture maker Benchmark, based in Kintbury, are recruiting for young people to join their award-winning Apprenticeship Programme starting in September. Their Apprenticeship Open Day is 9.30am – 1pm Sat 1 April
• Interview skills workshop at Careers Springboard in Newbury 3.45pm Weds 29 Mar
• if you’re over 19, unemployed, live in West Berks and need confidence applying for work this free six week Get Started! course at Heros Charity in Fawley is for you
Please support the businesses which support Penny Post!
• thank you to everyone who donated to West Berkshire Action for Refugees‘s appeal for donations. The truck left Newbury this week with 150 boxes of food, clothes & toiletries to be distributed to those in need by Care4Calais
• news here about the good progress made by some our local libraries in their fights to stay alive. Volunteers and possibly trustees are required to help make this happen.
• congratulations also to all those nominated for the 2107 Newbury Civic Awards – click here for more including interviews with the two winners.
• Yellow Fish campaign volunteers needed Thurs 30 Mar to sticker local drains to remind people they lead directly into local rivers so you mustn’t pour chemicals or fuel down them. Campaign run by ARK & The Renewal Project
Four (and two) Legged Friends
• grazing & stable available to rent in Hungerford from 1 May
• so the nocturnal visitor who left paw prints in our clay pot we’re pretty sure is a …hedgehog
• thanks to Dave at the Pet Shop in Hungerford for supplying me with mealworms. We had a sick chicken and they seem to have brought her back to life!
• Raw Feeding Seminar 11am – 4pm Sun 2 April in Swindon for pet owners, breeders,trainers and behaviourists. £49.99 per person.
• this week’s recipe is: Lamb & Vegetable Pie with Baked Beetroot from Romilla Arber’s award-winning cookbook What’s for Dinner? Second Helpings
• all welcome to join Brighter Berkshire’s first Walk’n’Talk event this Sat meeting Newbury Town Centre at 1pm to bring awareness of mental health issues to people & businesses in Newbury. There is also the Newbury Community Clean-Up which starts at 1pm at various locations.
• Hungerford & surrounding area Cancer Support Group meets 2 – 4pm Tues 28 Mar in the Bear Hotel. For more details contact Yvonne on [email protected]
• see this week’s Local News for the usual mix which this week has an overview of the challenges facing some of the pubs in the area, Thames Water’s record fine, litter picking and public consultations.
• my husband’s latest song is a slightly growly, slightly guitar-thrash thing if that floats your boat – click here for Big Man
• our thoughts are with everyone affected by this week’s atrocity at Westminster
Wed 29 March
Sat 1 Apr
JOG Colour Mile, 11am John O’Gaunt School, Hungerford. Come walk, jog or run a mile and get covered in paint! BBQ, bouncy castle & lots of fun in aid of Prospect Hospice and JOG PSA.
Mum2Mum Market, 10.30am – 1pm John O’Gaunt School, Hungerford. £2 entry Lots of great bargains to be had!
Vintage Fair City Arts Newbury (& Sun 2 Apr)
Sun 2 Apr
ATE April Amble in aid of Ghana. Enjoy a lovely walk from Ramsbury to Aldbourne (or vice versa). The suggested donation to participate is £5 on the day. Under 12s go free.To raise more sponsorship please download the sponsorship form here: http://ateghana.org/the-2800-mile-challenge/
Thu 27 & Fri 28 April The Empty Nesters’ Club by John Godber, Corn Exchange – one for the Mums and Dads