Visit the Local News section of PP website for this week’s news from the Og to the dogs, precepts and pubs to police news and from windmills to libraries and railway stations.
Local Events – see below
• we will be publishing our next guide to local classes & courses soon. If you would like to be included please reply to this
• coming up at Honesty Cookery School – Sweetie Pies & Tarts, Canapes, Thai Flavours and lots more
• Paul Dawson recommends Donnington Grove: “the staff are friendly, the room is beautiful and the grounds are excellent.”
• Jeremy Prout recommends LJS Accountants: “LJS offers a level of attention to my needs that is highly unusual and is something I’m very grateful for.”
• full marks so far to Matt from Roof Right in Little Bedwyn who seems to have identified the problem, and a solution, for our leaking roof which has so far eluded everyone else…
• March Madness Computer Sale at Green Machine (between Hungerford & Ramsbury) – up to25% off until 31 March if you trade in an old computer you don’t need any more! I’m going to get a new laptop tomorrow to replace one I got from them several years ago.
• Early Bird Tax Return for Sole Trader Offer – just £39.95 from Wise Bookkeeping if you book by 5 April 2017 (and submit your income and expenditure figures by 30 April). This is a great incentive for people like me who normally leave filing their taxes till the January deadline. Aliz will help you get it out of the way so you can enjoy the rest of the year guilt-free!
• Hungerford Bookshop are excited to announce they have a new online bookshop (with useful categories) and all customers get 10% off their first online order (valid until the end of March). Just add the coupon code open10 at the checkout to claim your discount.
See the Penny Post website for local jobs including: Front-end Web Developer, Newbury(deadline 17 Mar) • Business Development Manager, Newbury (deadline 17 Mar) • Teaching Assistants, Hungerford • Business Events Support Officer, Newbury (deadline 20 Mar) • Part-time Waiting Staff, Little Bedwyn • Full-time Care Assistants, West Berkshire • Hotel Receptionist, Newbury • Music Sales Account Assistant, Welford • Seating Riggers, (Open Day 17 Mar)Membury • Welder Fabricator and Mechanic, both East Garston • Part-time Lifeguards, Hungerford • Gardener, near Lambourn • Stable Manager, Upper Lambourn • After-school Childcare, near Newbury • Car Mechanic, Newbury • Occupational Therapist, West Berkshire •Massage Therapist, West Berkshire • Cleaners, West Berkshire • Charity Shop Volunteers, Hungerford • Homecare Assistants, throughout West Berkshire
• if you’re over 19, unemployed, live in West Berks and need confidence applying for work this free six week Get Started! course at Heros Charity in Fawley is for you
• Get Started with Football course to improve your confidence, teamwork, leadership and football skills is available in Reading 27 – 31 March.
• grazing & stable available to rent in Hungerford from 1 May
• artist based in Weston is looking for studio space with natural light, locally. Anything considered. Please call M Shaw Stewart 07780 588542
• a range of properties for rent in Hungerford – contact Nye & Co
Please support the businesses which support Penny Post!
• West Berkshire Action for Refugees need vital donations for refugees by end of March inc sleeping bags, tents, men’s walking boots, coats, nappies, sanitary towels, baby wipes (click link for details of where to donate)
• news here about the good progress made by some our local libraries in their fights to stay alive. Volunteers and possibly trustees are required to help make this happen.
• Hungerford & surrounding area Cancer Support Group meets 2 – 4pm last Tuesday of the Month in the Bear Hotel – next meeting Tues 28 March. For more details contact Yvonne on Ygillies@btinternet.com
Four (and two) Legged Friends
• so we prepared our mink trap on our bank of the River Lambourn and left the clay pot on the bank overnight. In the morning we discovered evidence of … not mink – but what kind of nocturnal visitor do you think we have in our garden?
• if you have a problem with dog poo in your area see this week’s Local News for information about who’s responsible for what and how you can make sure it gets cleaned up
• bag it , bin it... the low-down on Toxocariasis, poo bags and how to make doo poo less unpleasant from Julie at Oscar Pet Food
• Raw Feeding Seminar 11am – 4pm Sun 2 April in Swindon for pet owners, breeders,trainers and behaviourists. £49.99 per person.
• Zen Dog Whisperer Ken Stronach is taking bookings now for April
• this week’s recipe is…bubblewrap! Working from home, I’m a terrible fridge picker but I’ve just discovered that if I have some bubblewrap on my desk to pop I don’t snack so much
• don’t worry if you can’t get to Cheltenham this week – The Queens Arms, East Garston is offering the full experience including the races on big screen TV and onsite tipster!
• congratulations to the Hogan Academy music students who did a great performance at Ace Space last weekend
• how to choose the best festival for you? Top tips from camping & festival experts Jo & Richard at 4 Points Leisure
• it was exciting to watch the sails being re-hung on Wilton Windmill yesterday!
• campaigners are still working hard to prevent The White Hart in Hampstead Marshall from being sold to developers and now the Baydon community is galvanising to save The Red Lion. The success of The Tally Ho in Hungerford Newtown shows that community-run pubs really can work.
• see this week’s Local News for the usual mix which this week covers rivers, pubs, dogs, windmills, bus routes, libraries and railway stations.
• finally, some underwater reflections from my husband Brian – Cool in the Pool?
PS: If you know anyone else who might also enjoy this week’s Penny Post, please click here to forward it them!
Fri 17 Mar
Babe the Sheep Pig 2.30pm & 7pm The Corn Exchange, Newbury For ages 5+ & full of West End actor/musicians!
The Ish Kabibble Live Swing Band 8pm The Wheatsheaf, Chilton Foliat – come celebrate the pub’s re-openingQuiz Night 7.30pm for 8pm start Hungerford Rugby Club. Licensed bar & burgers on sale.
More on PP calendar: Nature Tots in Thatcham, story time at Newbury Library, Lent Lunch in Hungerford, Macular Suppprt Group in Newbury
Sat 18 Mar
Lewis & Leigh 8pm,Ace Space, Newbury – another great gig not to be missed
Romantic Masterpieces, 7.30pm East Garston Village Hall. Promises to be a wonderful performance by cello virtuoso Phil Daish-Handy with the opportunity to have a go on the cello yourself in the interval!
More on PP calendar: Make a Bee Hotel in Wantage, Chatterbooks in Newbury, ARK Community Hedge Planting in Marlborough
Sun 19 Mar
Early Spring Bird Walk 2pm Nature Discovery Centre, Thatcham
Thur 23 Mar
Hungerford Annual Town Meeting, 7.00pm Corn Exchange Hungerford
Sat 25 Mar
Wantage Farmers Market 9am Wantage Marketplace
Dressmaking Workshop: Make Your Own Pyjama Bottoms 10am – 5pm, Croft Field Activity Centre, Hungerford
Earth Hour 8.30 – 9.30pm join the millions of people around the world who switch off their electricity for 60 minutes eg The Castle Pub on Cold Ash Hill is hosting a Candlelight Gathering
Mothering Sunday 26 March
• make your own special gift for Mother’s Day with Kelly Louise Floral Design 6.30 – 8pm Fri 24 March in Marlborough (also on Sat 25 Mar in Pewsey – contact Kelly on 07818 769121 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
• book a Cream Tea Cruise 2.30pm Mothering Sunday on the Rose of Hungerford
• Special Mother’s Day Lunch Blandy’s at Inglewood nr Kintbury. A marvellous chef, beautiful setting and gift for every mother dining! Book on 01488 687010
• Special Mother’s Day menu at The Bear in Hungerford (Mums eat free after 6pm) Book on 01488 682512
Wed 29 March Clover Stroud Author Talk The Wild One Hungerford Town Hall
Sat 1 Apr JOG Colour Mile, Hungerford
Sat 1 Apr Vintage Fair City Arts Newbury (& Sun 2 Apr)
Sun 2 Apr ATE April Amble in aid of Ghana, Ramsbury to Aldbourne (or vice versa)
Thu 27 & Fri 28 April The Empty Nesters’ Club by John Godber, Corn Exchange – one for the Mums and Dads