Visit the Local News section of the PP website for this week’s news including library funding latest, good causes celebrated, traffic and fire-service news, Boundary Road, conflicting legal advice, West Berkshire’s Children’s Services, Hungerford’s Post Office, Swindon’s solar farm, Great Shefford’s flood defences, Chieveley’s postcode lottery, Wantage’s sliding doors, a business survey, a business competition, speed dating for volunteers, council tax rises, local MPs’ contributions to the Article 50 debate, a couple of football items, a football quiz question, a driving course, a fantastic place and John Major’s kneecap.
February’s Penny Post Hungerford includes news from Hungerford Town Council, the Library, allotments, actor Nick Lumley – plus a Chamber of Commerce business survey and an unusual new quiz from Hungerford Brownies
Local Events – see below
• a couple of spaces left at Newbury College’s beginners dance class starting Thurs 9 Feb. Foxtrot, Rumba and Cha-cha – it’s guaranteed to put a spring in your step! Cost £97 Book on 01635 845000
• Halfterm activities – see events below
• if you’re looking for a ladies networking group, Margaret McDonell says ‘joining the Athena network is the best thing I’ve done for my business.Debbie Miles is passionate about creating a vibrant and friendly environment and I’ve enjoyed increased referrals, support and inspiration’.
• Three wooden pallets in Hungerford. Free to collector. Please contact [email protected]
See the Penny Post website for local jobs including: Cleaner, East Garston • Occupational Therapist, West Berkshire • Massage Therapist, West Berkshire • Recreation Assistant, Hungerford • Early Years Team Leader, Inkpen (closing date 3 Feb) • GPs’ Pharmacy Dispenser, Ramsbury (closing date 7 Feb) • Preschool Deputy Manager, Baydon • Head Stockperson and Gardener, both near Lambourn • Customer Services Assistants, Hungerford • Warehouse staff, Marlborough • Production Assistant, East Garston • Charity Shop Volunteers, Hungerford • Homecare Assistants, throughout West Berkshire
• if you are a professional who would like support finding a new job, Careers Springboard West Berkshire can help – they meet every Weds in Newbury
House-share Rental: Large room in a shared house in Hungerford (four people in total) £275pcm plus £120 towards utility bills and cleaning. Available Now. Contact Nye & Co
• The importance of first impressions – property tips from Jon at Brearley & Rich
Please support the businesses which support Penny Post!
• we’re organising a fab Colour Mile event on Sat 1 April at John O’Gaunt School in Hungerford in aid of Prospect Hospice and our PSA. Click here for details of sponsorship and stallholder opportunities
• show you care by ordering a delivery of Flowers for your Valentine by Kelly Louise Floral Design – or to make your own Valentine’s bouquet book your place on Kelly’s Valentine’s Floral Workshop 7pm Mon 13 Feb
On the Road
• if you’re choosing a new car, here is some practical advice from the mechanics at Elite Garage Services in Newbury
Four & Two Legged Friends
• if you’re thinking of getting a puppy here are some useful tips on which puppy is right for you from dog trainer Jill Thorpe at Develop Your Dog
• great February newsletter from Sustainable Wantage featuring Cafe Scientifique talk on kite power, upcoming Repair Cafe and lots more
• Transition Marlborough are planning to Show the Love this Saturday – see their latest newsletter for details plus their upcoming Permaculture Course
• thank you to Alistair Mills in Lambourn for sharing the story of his recent adventure in Nepal – very inspiring!
• this week’s recipe: Pork, Apple & Cider Casserole from Jo at The Merry Kitchen
• has your Dry January ended with a splash? I’ve managed to hold out so far (48hrs…) so there’s still hope for a Damp February
• how are your New Year resolutions going? Local martial arts instructor Damien Harfield explains how you can only change your habits if you set a goal that matters and stop making excuses
• see this week’s Local News for the usual mix including library funding, local MPs’ contributions to the recent Article 50 debate, Hungerford Post Office update and a local derby in Swindon.
• Meadow anthills cast shadows twice their height, stippling the combe like a trout’s back – this week’s beautiful Nature Notes from Nicola Chester
• exciting news for rugby fans – the Doing it for Heroes team walking from Twickenham to Cardiff with the Wales v England match ball will be stopping off at Hungerford Rugby Club about 4pm this Saturday in time to watch the England v France Six Nations game. Please go along to give them a good welcome.