The Bowls Club is to be found in the beautiful surroundings of the Croft Green. The land where the Bowls Green is situated was owned originally by a Mr Wooldridge of Hungerford. From around 1910 it became available as a sports facility and in August 1918 it was handed over to the Hungerford Club. Thus we will be celebrating our centenary this year.
The Bowling Section became affiliated to the County of Berkshire in 1924. Our Club records show that four of our Members served as County President, namely Dennis Brittain (1977), John Davies (1982), Ted Hill (1987) and our current Club President Alan Bartter in 2003.
The current season got under way on Saturday 14 April 2018 when our President officially opened the Green. The opening match took place immediately afterwards.
Our membership subscriptions run for the year from 1 April to 31 March. Only paid-up members may use the Green and Club and represent the Club in matches. However, we always extend a warm welcome to visitors and prospective bowlers. To this end we have arranged an Open Day on the afternoon of Saturday 21 April from 2pm and a Coaching session with County Coaches from 6pm on Tuesday 9 May.
To celebrate our centenary we have arranged a number of special matches. On Sunday 17 June we will be entertaining a team from the Royal County of Berkshire and on Sunday 29th July we are hosts to a team from Bowls England. Our ladies will also be playing against a team invited by the Royal County’s Lady President.
The Green is in excellent condition thanks to our Greenkeeper Micky Lambourn and our outside contractors – it is acknowledged as having one of the best surfaces in the county.
For further information, please visit our web site.
Secretary Hungerford Bowls Club
Tel: 01488 684 471