Thanks to Lambourn Valley Dental Practice for sharing this gory soup recipe that is actually very healthy and a good alternative to lots of sweets at Halloween!
28 grams unsalted butter
1 onion finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
120 ml dry white wine
1 tin tomatoes
1 litre of homemade or low salt shop bought chicken stock
3 sprigs of oregano
120 ml of pouring cream
Salt and pepper
6 pitted black olives
2 sprigs of rosemary
4 chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
Around 30 Mini Mozzarella balls
1 jar small pimiento stuffed olives
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over a medium to low heat. Add the onion and garlic and heat until the onion is translucent, approx. 6 minutes.
2. Add the wine and heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, stock and oregano and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until thickened, approx 45 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove the herbs (oregano). Puree the soup in small batches until smooth then return to the pan and slowly pour in the pouring cream stirring constantly. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile make the bugs: use a toothpick to pierce each black olive 4 times (all the way through to the other side). Insert a rosemary leaf into each hole to make eight legs. Insert 2 pieces of chive into the small hole at the end of the olive to make antennae.
5. Make the eyeballs: using a small melon baller, scoop out a hold from each mozzarella ball. Halve each pimiento-stuffed olive crosswise, place a half, cut side up in the hole in each mozzarella ball to make eyeballs.