First and foremost – Don’t Panic!
Accidents will happen but staining can be avoided if prompt action is taken. Sometimes professional help will be needed.
This is what you need to do straight away:
- blot up surplus spillage
- make up some Detergent Vinegar Solution: one teaspoon of gentle woollens detergent, one teaspoon of white vinegar to half a pint of warm water
- dab stain with this solution, working from the outer edge of the stain inwards
- frequently blot with dry cloths
- final rinse procedure
Final Rinse Procedure
- mix one-part white vinegar and four-parts water
- pour mixture into a spray bottle and spray over the stained area
- blot dampened area (do not rub) to remove excess moisture
- spread white kitchen towel (stacked 6-8 sheets deep) or absorbent cloth over the affected area and place a weight, such as a telephone directory, on top
- leave overnight and repeat if necessary
- Do not over wet into backing materials
- Always test any solution/detergent on an inconspicuous area of carpet prior to treating a stain
- Use detergents at recommended dilution ratios
- Scrape up or blot up any excess prior to treatment
- Blot, never rub or scrub
- Do not use inappropriate detergents on carpets or upholstery i.e. (washing up liquid, wash powders, household bleach, disinfectants)
- Always work from the outside of the stain inward to avoid spreading
- Always apply the cleaning fluid to the absorbent spotting material not directly onto the carpet or fabric
- Encourage quick drying (carefully use a hairdryer on mild heat to assist)
- Deal with stains as quickly as possible for increased chances of success
- Keep the fabric or carpet as dry as possible.
Whilst this stain removal guide may be basic, it should help prevent some quite common and expensive DIY stain removal damage. Unfortunately, there can never be a guarantee of complete removal of a stain, but the correct routine will give your professional cleaner, when called in, the best possible chance of success.
For more help please contact Jon at Eclipse Cleaning on 01488 670113
REMEMBER: Act Quickly. Scrape up solids, blot up liquids. Take plenty of time, it is worth the effort. Mix the solution accurately and test it on an out of the way piece of carpet. Always work from the outer edge of the stain to the centre. Dab or blot rather than scrub or rub. And most importantly, NEVER OVER-WET.