Menu

Don’t go changing – a parenting challenge

This summer has been a good one for our family, but it has come with a little bit of melancholy as I realise how quickly our daughter is growing up.

I’ve never hankered for our children to be babies again (or to add any more to our family – I know my limits!); as each year passes they have become more interesting, engaging and surprising and there is a huge amount to be said for being free of potty training and broken sleep. These strong-bodied, active, articulate little people teach me just as much about myself (I need to keep a cooler head, play more, worry less) as they do about themselves (they hear more than I give them credit for, they can sense if I want five minutes to myself and so to interrupt me, they will read the front cover of Private Eye and ask what “pissed” means….).

This summer, however, I’ve felt a niggle. One that I should be mentally capturing moments and committing them to memory even more keenly than before, especially when it comes to our daughter.

For her, this summer has been one of cartwheels, of plunging into rivers on rope swings, Cub camps and family camps and running through fields uninhibited and happy.

For me, it has been one of unexpected cuddles, of watching her conquer fears and dive into swimming pools and freezing seas, of tearing across a field in her shorts roaring with laughter, of conspiring with her cousins for an extra hour of play. It has been the best.

And then I remember that she’s now moved up a year at school. And that there are girls two years older than her entering into puberty and if I’m honest, I’m happy to wait a hell of a lot longer for that to come knocking.

My husband and I don’t ‘baby’ our children, and we’re open about what’s to come, but now feels like a very special time for our girl. I can still carry her (although only just), and it is still more than ok to tickle fight, water fight and pillow fight. I’m still helping with hair washes, and still called upon to give a kiss goodnight and read bedtime stories. She is free to run, jump and play unselfconsciously and I want that to last *as long as possible*.

I like to think that a bit of honesty plus keeping the house free of MTV, Page 3 and trashy magazines will help to keep her free of undue pressure and crappy role models but I can’t delay the inevitable, and I can’t pretend it isn’t going to happen. What I do hope is that I get just a couple more summers like this one. Don’t go changing – not just yet.

I'll love these little footprints forever
I’ll love these little footprints forever….
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Part-time Receptionist required at Lambourn Surgery

Wed
2020
7:00 am Hungerford Wednesday Market @ Hungerford High Street
Hungerford Wednesday Market @ Hungerford High Street
Jan 22 @ 7:00 am – 2:30 pm
Hungerford Wednesday Market @ Hungerford High Street | England | United Kingdom
Wednesday is market day in Hungerford, when cars give way to shoppers, traders and stalls filled with fresh fruit, vegetable, fish, meat, flowers, plants, clothes,
10:00 am Art Group @ Lambourn Library
Art Group @ Lambourn Library
Jan 22 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Art Group @ Lambourn Library | Lambourn | England | United Kingdom
Art Group Every Wednesday, 10.00am-12.00pm at Lambourn Library. Bring your paints, pastels or pencils. For more information, please contact the library. Twitter: https://twitter.com/WBerksLibraries Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/newburylibrary/
11:00 am Rhymetime @ Hungerford Library @ Hungerford Library
Rhymetime @ Hungerford Library @ Hungerford Library
Jan 22 @ 11:00 am – 11:30 am
Rhymetime @ Hungerford Library @ Hungerford Library | England | United Kingdom
Rhymetime Rhymetime for under 4’s, every Wednesday in term time ONLY, 11am at Hungerford Library. For more information please contact the library. Twitter: https://twitter.com/WBerksLibraries Facebook:
11:00 am Rhymetime @ Newbury Library @ Newbury Library
Rhymetime @ Newbury Library @ Newbury Library
Jan 22 @ 11:00 am – 11:30 am
Rhymetime @ Newbury Library @ Newbury Library | England | United Kingdom
Rhymetime for under 3 years Every Tuesday and Wednesday, 11.00-11.20am at Newbury Library. For more information, please contact the library. Twitter: https://twitter.com/WBerksLibraries Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/newburylibrary/ http://info.westberks.gov.uk/article/30251
11:00 am Rhymetime @ Theale Library @ Theale Library
Rhymetime @ Theale Library @ Theale Library
Jan 22 @ 11:00 am – 11:30 am
Rhymetime @ Theale Library @ Theale Library | Theale | England | United Kingdom
Rhymetime for 0-2 years Wednesdays. 11.00-11.30am, term time only, at Theale Library No charge, but voluntary donations welcome. For more information, please contact the library.
2:00 pm English Conversation Group @ Hun... @ Hungerford Library
English Conversation Group @ Hun... @ Hungerford Library
Jan 22 @ 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
English Conversation Group @ Hungerford Library @ Hungerford Library | England | United Kingdom
English Conversation Group Is English your second language? Get help with everyday conversation at this friendly session. Every Wednesday, 2.00-3.00pm at Hungerford Library. For more
2:30 pm Knit & Natter @ Newbury Library
Knit & Natter @ Newbury Library
Jan 22 @ 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Knit & Natter @ Newbury Library | England | United Kingdom
Knit & Natter at Burghfield Library Drop in and bring your knitting with you. Starts Wednesday 16 May, then fortnightly on Wednesdays, 2.30-4.30 pm. For
3:00 pm Newbury Ecobrickers @ Lock, Stock and Barrel
Newbury Ecobrickers @ Lock, Stock and Barrel
Jan 22 @ 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Newbury Ecobrickers @ Lock, Stock and Barrel | England | United Kingdom
An Ecobrick is a plastic bottle packed to a set density with used, clean and dry plastic to achieve a building block that can be
3:30 pm Quick Craft @ Theale Library @ Theale Library
Quick Craft @ Theale Library @ Theale Library
Jan 22 @ 3:30 pm – 4:45 pm
Quick Craft @ Theale Library @ Theale Library | Theale | England | United Kingdom
Quick Craft for under 11 years Wednesdays, 3.30-4.45pm at Theale Library No charge but voluntary donations welcome. For more information, please contact the library. http://info.westberks.gov.uk/article/30287
7:30 pm Robert Burns, National Bard, Lad... @ St Mary's Church, Hamstead Marshall
Robert Burns, National Bard, Lad... @ St Mary's Church, Hamstead Marshall
Jan 22 @ 7:30 pm – 9:00 pm
Robert Burns, National Bard, Lad o’ Pairts @ St Mary's Church, Hamstead Marshall | Hamstead Marshall | England | United Kingdom
On Wednesday 22 January 2020 at 7.30pm St Mary’s Hamstead Marshall will host a Speakers’ Corner. During the evening cold drinks, and a taste of

Penny Post

e-newsletter

for local, positive news, events, jobs, recipes, recommendations & more.

Covering: Hungerford, Marlborough, Wantage,   Lambourn, Newbury, Thatcham & Theale