We are appealing for help with our URGENT collection for refugee camps in Calais/Dunkirk – DEADLINE SATURDAY 9 APRIL!
NEWBURY: Friday 9.30-11.30am, Saturday 9am – 12noon Vets4Pets on Greenham Rd, Newbury (call ahead if its a large amount). ALL listed donations.
NEWBURY: Any day 7.30am-9pm. Aldens, 19 Pyle Hill, Greenham Rd, Newbury. FOOD ONLY.
EAST GARSTON: Any day. Hillsprings, East Garston, RG17 7HW. Call 01488 648534 first if possible. ALL listed donations.
LAMBOURN: Any day. Iveagh Cottage at Nugent Farm, Upper Lambourn, on the B4000. Call 01488 71250 if needed. ALL listed donations.
For alternative times/days, please call 07894 967164 or check the Facebook page updates. If you can act as a collection point, please let us know!
• foil blankets
• survival bags
• thick/fleece/cellular adult-sized blankets
• roll mats & sleeping bags
• fire extinguishers
• weather proof tents (not single skin pop ups) with all the pieces including pegs, in one secure bag
• backpacks (small for grab bags and large for possessions)
• plastic bags for life & 130 litre strong bin bags
• saline solution (in small squirty bottles)
• toilet roll
• Waterproof warm winter coats
• Small jeans (size 28 and 30)
• S & M tracksuit bottoms & waterproof trousers
• thick socks
• size 35-43 waterproof walking boots (high ankle) or trainers
• men’s gloves
• S & M mens jumpers, long-sleeved tops & hoodies
tinned fish (tuna, sardines, mackerel)
tinned goods (tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans)
tea and coffee
dried fruit and nuts
tinned fruit and veg
vegetable stock cubes
1l UHT milk
It is vital that ONLY these donations are collected and that they are in good, clean condition, with all food in date. Many of the items on these lists are also items we have run out of for local homeless people and refugees/asylum seekers in Berkshire.
If you would prefer to make a financial donation you can do this here: https://www.gofundme.com/refugeeaidberks
Volunteer Help Needed
We also need volunteers for 3 different things…
1. Act as local collection points or organise local collections, e.g. at schools. We are asking that anyone who does this takes on the task of rejecting inappropriate donations, sorting what they are given (either packing it into single item banana boxes or into single items bags – e.g. a bag just of thick blankets, a bag just of socks, etc) and bringing donations to the store at Vets4Pets, Greenham Road, Newbury.
2. Helping sorting and packing at the Vets4Pets store. We will also be opening up donations directly at the Vets4Pets store but ONLY on scheduled days when we have volunteers there. We have been trialling sorting on Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings, but could do other days.
3. Picking up banana boxes and taking them to Vets4Pets. We use the Fyffes-style ones with the slide-on lids. We have found that Sainsburys generally have them out, so if you shop there, please check every time and pick up as many as you can.