This competition has now closed and no further entries can be accepted. The answer and the winner’s name will be added to this post in the near future.
Thanks to all of you who entered – over 700 people in all. We’re currently in discussion with Steam Dreams about being able to run a similar competition and/or provide some special offers in the future.
On Thursday 4 October, the iconic Flying Scotsman steam locomotive will stop at Theale and Newbury stations to take passengers on a stunning journey to Taunton. This is the first time in many years that the world’s most famous locomotive has stopped in West Berkshire so to mark the occasion we’ve teamed up with Steam Dreams to offer one lucky reader a pair of Pullman Style Dining tickets for this fabulous trip, worth £478! For how to win these tickets, see below.
The lucky winners will board the train at Theale at 06:40 or Newbury station at 07:30 and will be served a two-course champagne brunch as the train – hauled by steam locomotive 60103 Flying Scotsman (the first steam train to be clocked at 100mph, back in 1934) – makes its way along the scenic Kennet & Avon Valley, past the Wiltshire White Horses and Somerset levels to Taunton.
Here, they will have a chance to stretch their legs before reboarding the train as it retraces its steps, diesel hauled, to Newbury at 13:10 and Theale at 13:40.
The trip is one of four taking place on Flying Scotsman’s historic tour of Devon and Cornwall this October.
How to Book Tickets
Passengers interested in buying tickets on Flying Scotsman for themselves, friends or family, can travel in one of four classes. Prices start from £99 per person in Premium Standard, where passengers are seated at tables of four, with crisp white tablecloths and complimentary tea and coffee at their seats.
For those looking to travel without compromise, Pullman Style Dining in original Metcam Pullman carriages or refurbished First Class carriages with wood panelling, comfortable seats, table lamps and curtains at the window, can be booked from £239. Here passengers can enjoy glasses of champagne and canapes before being served a two or three-course meal with a complimentary half bottle of wine per person. Champagne brunches and cream teas are served on morning or afternoon journeys.
For more information, call the Booking Office on 01483 209888 or visit www.steamdreams.co.uk.
How to Enter the Competition to Win Two Tickets for Thursday 4 October
To be in with a chance of winning two Pullman Style Dining tickets worth £239 each, simply answer the following question:
In which year did the Flying Scotsman become the first steam engine to be recorded travelling at 100mph?
Email your answer to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your postal address as well as your email address.
Deadline: noon on Tuesday 25 September.
Penny Post & Steam Dreams Competition Terms and Conditions
1. By entering this competition you agree to have your name and email address added to the Penny Post newsletter mailing list (if you are not already a subscriber). This will be used solely for the purpose of sending you our various e-newsletters which provide the ‘news you can use’ for the Marlborough-Hungerford-Newbury-Thatcham-Theale-Wantage area (please click here to see our recent newsletters). We do not pass your information on to third parties and you can opt out at any time.
2. The prize is two Pullman Style Dining tickets worth £239 each for the Flying Scotsman trip to Taunton on Thursday 4 October.
3. The prize is non-transferable and non-refundable.
4. The times stated are subject to change. Final times will be released by Network Rail two to three days prior to the trip and will be listed on the Steam Dreams website SteamDreams.co.uk.
5. Tickets will usually be sent out to the winner by email three to four days prior to the trip.
6. Should the trip be cancelled for any reason, the winner will be offered tickets to the same value for an alternative trip.
7. Steam Dreams reserves the right to change locomotives, destinations or routes to facilitate the completion of the tour.
8. Steam Dreams chef is happy to cater for specific diets. Should you have special dietary requirements please advise us up to a week before travel. We try our best to cater for allergies or severe dislikes of some foods, but cannot guarantee that all our food will be totally nut, garlic or gluten free as it is prepared in kitchens where traces of nuts, garlic and flour may be found.