My Australian godmother Jenny can make a feast out of the most humble ingredients so when faced with a glut of marrows she stuffs them with pilaf, as you do!
How to Prepare the Marrow
Pilaf Ingredients (for stuffing for 8 people)
1.5 cups basmati rice
1.75 cups stock
.75 cup pine nuts
1 tbspn olive oil (or oil of choice)
2 medium brown onions
2 cloves garlic chopped
500 gms beef or lamb mince (meat optional – can be replaced by tinned chickpeas)
2 tbspns Moroccan Spice Mix or 1 tbspn curry powder, 1/2 tspn ground cinnamon, pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
1. Simmer the rice all but 1/4 cup of stock, tightly covered until tender. Set aside
2. Lightly brown pine nuts in large frying pan over medium/high heat. Remove and set aside
3. Add to pan 1 tbspn oil & cook onion, stirring until soft.
4. Add garlic and cook about 1 more minute.
5. Increase heat to high, add mince and cook, breaking up any lumps with wooden spoon until browned.
6. Reduce heat to medium/low and add 2 level tbspns of a spice blend eg M&S Moroccan Spices or your own mix of curry powder, cinammon, cayenne pepper
7. Add rice and the reserved stock to moisten and stir well until all flavours are combined
8. Season with salt and pepper – mixture should be firm but not wet or too dry
9. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and chopped coriander
How to Serve
Sprinkle marrow rings with chopped coriander and serve with potatoes and a simple green salad.